Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aluminum Windshield Parts
I have a 1990 3600 Open that has a painted aluminum framed windshield. There are some small corrosion bubbles at some of the joints.
Does anyone know where I can buy these extrusions? New or used.
What have you guys done in the past?
Thanks,
Dennis
Like Post Reply

Trying to replace a part in that frame is going to be a monumental job. IMO those screws will NOT come out easily. The usual method to remove ss screws from aluminum is to apply lots of heat with a torch.
Why not grind away the corrosion, fill the voids with Bondo and paint it with Awlgrip?  I just painted the window frames in my 36 convertible with Awlgrip and they look like new. Pitting was minimal and barely noticeable once painted.
Capt. George
Like Post Reply
Thanks. Yeah I kinda figured the screws would be a mess. Maybe I'll do some localized sanding and see how good I can make it look.
Like Post Reply
Capt. George, did you remove the frames or do them in place?  That's also on my project list, and have seen some post on the dangers of removing those frames.

Thoughts?
Like Post Reply
It would be almost impossible to remove the frames without disassembling the boat.
I refinished them in place. Careful sanding and lots of masking tape. Awlgrip was easier to apply than I expected. I brushed the paint and then tipped it with a foam brush for a perfectly smooth finish.
Capt. George
Like Post Reply
Those windshields were custom made, so buying the extrusions is not an option. As mentioned above, removing the windshield frame is a monumental job and would not be worth it. As captain George says, sand, fill, prime and paint is likely going to your only solution.

Good Luck!
Chris Burkard
[Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register]
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Tiara Open] Vintage Year 2000 Parts Source mikezacharias 2 1,340 04-04-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: HIGH SPIRTED
  2005- 3600 Open Center Windshield Wiper Motor Cover Replacement Tminus3 1 281 03-30-2024, 08:03 AM
Last Post: Makoman
  [Tiara Open] 2018 43' open, trying to find make of windshield wipers that need replacing. charley's angel 3 235 02-21-2024, 01:12 PM
Last Post: ReelMagic
  Sovran windshield joint protectant Euphoria38 1 319 11-17-2023, 05:19 AM
Last Post: MC1600
  Center windshield still leaking brad 2 713 07-17-2023, 07:52 AM
Last Post: brad