Tiara Yacht Owners Forum

Full Version: Want to add raw water washdown in 38 Open
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Was raw water washdown a factory option in 2002 on 38 Opens?  If so, does anyone know what the factory option consisted of, how was it installed?  Did it leverage any of the existing thru-hulls, where was the pump & sprayer/hose connection mounted?  I noticed there is a blank space in the main DC panel labeled "Raw Water Washdown" (I think), which led me to believe there was a factory option? 

I have fresh water at the stern on the SB side and another one in the anchor locker.  I was thinking about installing a Jabsco 31911 quick-connect somewhere on the port side stern area (next to the bench seat) and installing a pump in the bilge area just below, and using one of the open accessory switches at the helm. 

What I don't know is (a) how to use an existing thru-hull to access raw water (perhaps a tee on the pumpout thru-hull?  or is that a bad idea?) and (b) how to properly wire the pump to power as well as a switch on the main DC panel as well as a contura switch at the helm.

Thoughts?

Thanks much!
My 2000 41' open has both a raw water washdown and a live well pump in the stern. Both have their own thru hulls with seacocks and are wired from the breaker panel up by the helm so it was a factory option. On a couple of my old boats I used a single thruhull for both. They were T'd off above the seacock. The only problem I could see was possible cavitation if you used one of those bait well pumps that would allow backflow. The washdown pump could pull air back through the live well pump. I guess you could do a one way duck valve past the live well pump to stop it from doing that.
I own a 2003 38 Open w/both raw and fresh water wash downs. The hose connections for both are located in the cockpit on the starboard side near the stern. I have the original invoice/order and both were options (#714765) although I don't have the valves in the anchor locker (another option but not purchased). Wish I did... The raw water wash down has it's own through hull, valve, and strainer located in the bilge under the rear cockpit fish well (the big one at the stern). The circuit breaker for the raw water wash down is located on the main DC panel as you stated but there is a switch near the hose connection in the cockpit to turn on/off the raw water wash down pump.
Thank you so much for the replies...I see where there is room for a second quick disconnect outlet directly below the freshwater one in the recessed area on the SB side. I don't have the live well pump either (though I am interested in understanding how to factory installed that too). The separate thru hull will be a bit of a job, tee off another thru-hull would be preferred, but I don't think I have any thru-hulls in the rear bilge except the pumpout, which I don't imagine would be a good option, not even sure how I could install a valve system that would allow both holding tank pumpout and raw water intake in the same seacock.

As for the live well, did Tiara install it in the large fish locker hatch or the insulated "cooler" area below the single seat across from the helm?
Believe they installed the live well using the large and small fish wells, not the insulated "cooler" under the "L" shaped seat.. You could use the through hull for the raw water A/C pump but as you said not sure how to TEE it to an added raw water wash down pump... BTW my raw water wash down pump through hull valve is right next to the through hull for the A/C pump.  M2C
Thank you ReelMagic, that is super helpful! Didn't think about A/C pump, that could be the golden ticket with a TEE and checkvalve; or just add another thru-hull identical to A/C one once I get her out of the water and take a close look. I was thinking about replacing that thru-hull with groco bronze fitting anyway; appears that the original is plastic, though I'm not really sure?
I'd be surprised if the through hull is plastic as I know all through hulls on my 2003 38 are bronze... M2C
i believe ABYC only specs bronze underwater thru hulls and all of the plastic ones I've worked with are marked as for above water application only. If there is a plastic underwater thru hull on your boat most certainly Tiara did not install it and I know I would be replacing it immediately.

Tee'ing off the AC inlet is a good idea and simple to try. A/c pumps also tend to air lock relatively easily however. If the washdown is installed correctly it shouldn't bleed air back into the system but something to keep in mind anyway. IMO the added expense of adding a thru hull and shutoff may displace some headaches down the road.
(10-20-2018, 07:26 AM)CaptGregSTX Wrote: [ -> ]Was raw water washdown a factory option in 2002 on 38 Opens?  If so, does anyone know what the factory option consisted of, how was it installed?  Did it leverage any of the existing thru-hulls, where was the pump & sprayer/hose connection mounted?  I noticed there is a blank space in the main DC panel labeled "Raw Water Washdown" (I think), which led me to believe there was a factory option? 

I have fresh water at the stern on the SB side and another one in the anchor locker.  I was thinking about installing a Jabsco 31911 quick-connect somewhere on the port side stern area (next to the bench seat) and installing a pump in the bilge area just below, and using one of the open accessory switches at the helm. 

What I don't know is (a) how to use an existing thru-hull to access raw water (perhaps a tee on the pumpout thru-hull?  or is that a bad idea?) and (b) how to properly wire the pump to power as well as a switch on the main DC panel as well as a contura switch at the helm.

Thoughts?

Thanks much!

Would it be possible to post a picture of each side of the anchor washdown - the supply side and the outlet.  I want to see how the factory set this up.  Thanks.
(11-03-2018, 05:47 AM)ReelMagic Wrote: [ -> ]I own a 2003 38 Open w/both raw and fresh water wash downs. The hose connections for both are located in the cockpit on the starboard side near the stern. I have the original invoice/order and both were options (#714765) although I don't have the valves in the anchor locker (another option but not purchased). Wish I did... The raw water wash down has it's own through hull, valve, and strainer located in the bilge under the rear cockpit fish well (the big one at the stern). The circuit breaker for the raw water wash down is located on the main DC panel as you stated but there is a switch near the hose connection in the cockpit to turn on/off the raw water wash down pump.

I have a Pursuit 3800...pretty much same boat as the Tiara 3800....in my anchor locker are the water lines for wash down, no valves, just terminated so I put a valve on my raw water line and now when I turn on the wash down pump I have a hose in the anchor locker to wash down the chain and anchor.  Probably there in your Tiara too ....just have to stick your head in there with a light to see them, they were tucked out of the way.