Tiara Yacht Owners Forum

Full Version: laying up
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am on my first year owning a 2008 sovran with Volvo/Penta 435 HP D6 engine and IPS drive system.  In the Volvo instructions it states that if laying up for off season in the water the engines need to be started every 14 days, run to operating temp., put in forward and reverse a few times and the helm taken from block to block.  This is all to avoid letting the engine/drive systems drying out and possibly encountering avoidable problems when the boating season begins again.  My boat is in Mexico and will be left in the water for 5 months while I'm not there.  Do I reallly have to hire someone to perform all of this every 2 weeks?  Not having Volvo engines on previous boats, I need advicel

Thanks
Mike Hornbeck
M/V Hombre
Now, this seems to be a slightly different question than your other one. Given this context, I think you’re okay with them sitting. Many have to do this during a winter season. But I could be sure to flush plenty of freshwater through the engine before leaving it for this period of time. I certainly wouldn’t leave it sit full of saltwater for 5mos.