Tiara Yacht Owners Forum

Full Version: CAT 3196 instrument panel goes dead
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Lately, one of the engine's instrument panels goes into an error mode and all gauges go off when I hit a high RPM (1900 or over).  Engine is running fine and if I come back down in RPM's the gauges come right back on.   Engines are CAT 3196 with the old school analogue gauges.
Do you have the EMS system? Should be an alarm annunciator, tach and quad gauge? If so these are not analogue. The alarm panel communicates with the engine ECM over a Cat data link and drives the gauges based on data received.

First thing to try would be to pull and reseat the connector on the back of the annunciator. The other end of the harness is on the back side of the engine behind the turbo. You can try the same with that connector (hex head screw in the middle of the connector.

Better than even money the annunciator is failing and when it does, no instruments. Cat should still have remanufactured panels else if you are interested I have a couple spares from when I upgraded to Cat MPDs which is another option.
Thank you and yes I was mistaken, they are not analogue, it is the EMS system. I will reset the connections, have been doing some electronic work, so maybe the connection is just loose. Curious on how you feel the upgrade was to CAT MPD's? Can you even do that with engines from 2000?
If your engine serial numbers begin with 2XR then you have what is called J1939 interface which the MPD and newer electronics MFD's support. For my last boat (3196) I found a great deal on the newer color MPD's and was very happy. Connecting was not difficult and most of the ECM data was available on the new displays. There were a few parameters such as trip fuel that didn't come across but also were not that important. When I had Cat on the boat to check a fuel pressure issue (something I wouldn't have discovered without the MPD's) they updated the engine software which made visible the missing data.

I took the added step of adding M<EA2000 gateways and interfaced the data onto my electronics MFD's. I am going through all this again as my current boat has the EMS system. I am going to try different setup (Veratron Oceanlink VMH70) this time as they are less than half the cost plus include a J1939 to NMEA20200 gateway so I can also project the engine data on the electronics screens. Not sure if Cat specific engine diagnostic messages will make it onto this display however, something for sure included on the CMPD's. If you are interested let me know andI will post a followup.
I really appreciate the information and the Veratron Oceanlink looks like an interesting option...I like the one panel, looks very clean....please keep me posted on how you make out.