Tiara Yacht Owners Forum

Full Version: Replace Onan/Kubota 21.5kW genset
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've owned this Tiara for a couple months now. After checking all the fluids I tried out the genset. Ran about an hour before throwing a rod out the side of the block. Only 1700 hours on the unit, and was "just serviced" by the previous owner. So fun!

I've got the hush covers off. Looks like the unit MIGHT come out the rear hatch under the hydraulic tables without cutting the floor. I'm trying to get a plan in place before I haul it out and replace the genset. I can pull the Onan out in pieces, but I'd rather install the new unit complete. Has anyone got experience with this?
I assume you are talking about a 52 Sovran / Express? I have not pulled the generator out but do believe it possible. That hatch will go up a few inches more if you remove the pins on the lifting cylinders and insert something to hold it up. You will need two additional people to lift while one inserts the support. The hatch is really heavy. If you are going to crane the whole genny out of there it may be easier to just pull the entire hatch (tables and all) at the same time. Just pull the lift cylinder pins, hinge bolts and disconnect the hydraulic lines and lift it out with straps

That’s too bad about the engine letting go. Those Kubota’s are really tough little engines especially when only run at 1800 RPM.

Good luck.
Yea on my 52. I see one other Kubota genset for sale on eBay with a hole in the block so I guess I’m not the only one who has killed this little Diesel lol. I sent out an oil sample for analysis, but even with the wrong oil I can’t imagine having this problem. At the time of destruction, there was no oil on the dipstick. But when I checked it the next morning, it was right at level. Coolant level was correct. There was water moving through the exhaust when I checked during operation as well.

I did play with removing the one of the hydraulic lift cylinder pins on that hatch and you’re right it is damn heavy. The unit won’t fit out that way with the covers on, but with the covers off I think it is possible. The other option is going out the hatch after removing the stairs. It will fit through there. But I’ll have to do build some cribbing and scoot the generator over between the mains in order to get the lifting hook on the correct side of the floor. I guess we’ll see how it goes. I’m trying to find the exact replacement in the meantime. Local dealer wants 26K for a new one.