Tiara Yacht Owners Forum

Full Version: 2005 32 Open Hour Meter
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am going to be closing on a 2005 32 Open. The Broker tells me the hour meters don't work all of the time and that it is a known problem with the 32's. I am going to have the computer diagnostics run on the motors as part of the survey so I will get the actual hours. But has anyone ever heard of this issue?
Happens all the time. Hour meters should only be used to measure maintenance intervals and otherwise taken with a grain of salt. You can send them to Lauderdale Speedo for repair if you want them working.
I've had 2 Tiara's (31 Open & 38 Open) each with VDO gauges and over my 25+ years for both I never had a problem with any VDO guage including the hour meters... On the 31 the hour meters were separtate guages and on my 38 they are digital as part of the analog tachs.. Haven't heard anyone having issues but that's just me... I'd check the connections to ensure there is not corrision on the terminals.. M2C
Thanks for the replies. I know gauges go bad and need to be repaired or replaced. But the broker made it sound like it is a known issue on the 32's. I'll kind out when I get her home and really dig in.
(10-05-2023, 10:20 AM)Matta0413 Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the replies.  I know gauges go bad and need to be repaired or replaced.  But the broker made it sound like it is a known issue on the 32's. I'll kind out when I get her home and really dig in.

I think this is a common issue with VDO tachs that have an LCD hour display.  The LCD screen goes bad and so the hours are no longer displayed.  I replaced these myself on my 29 Coronet (for about $100) and they work great now.  You can keep the guage and just replace the LCD screen portion.

Definitely find out the actual hours with the diagnostics; but this is an easy fix so don't let it be the reason you don't buy the boat.