Tiara Yacht Owners Forum

Full Version: Surveyors
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have fished and camped in our 31 open for 6 years, nothing but the best of times.
Low and behold the insurance company sends me a nasty gram you need your boat surveyed out of water by bla bla bla.
Are they buying my boat without my knowledge?
The last thing I want is some uh,person jamming ice picks into my bulkheads or running my boat wide open throttle across a lake full of debris to prove what?

I have a hard spot for surveyors with ice picks because I am sure that is the very reason the bones on my old Penn Yan were waterlogged and rotten.
Not all  the bones were rotten , just the ones with ice pick holes.

I never run my Crusaders over 3800 rpm and shouldn't have to scatter my cranks or destroy my hull just to suit them.
Any suggestions or opinions on this is greatly appreciated.
Rant off and thank you ladies and gentlemen.
Ran into this myself. The problem is value of the policy. You can get it insured without an updated survey, but you may pay more for the value you need/want it insured for. I do have a friend going through this right now with his 32 open and he was offered the ability to "self survey". Lots of pictures and forms to complete but might check into that option.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
An insurance survey is not the same as a pre-purchase survey. It will be completely non-invasive, and I've never heard of one including a sea trial.

Take a deep breath and ask to speak to the surveyor before he shows up so you can get a sense of the types of things he'll be checking and how long he'll be.
Agree with hiccup. Ask for an “insurance survey” and it’s much less invasive.
You're right, they are just trying to weasel out of a larger payout in case I crash into a freighter or something.
And if I was a zero maintenance owner I could trash a boat in six years or less
While we’re picking on surveyors, I just got to my boat for the first time since one was done about 10 days ago. The boat was trashed. Black stains all over my deck, lights left on, fridge/freezer turned off (which caused mold from water sitting in them), oily rags left in the bilge, the genny case put together all wrong (which caused a clasp to bend), a hot mess under one of my fuel filters….

I’m starting to wonder if the survey was done by a team of chimps.

|end rant
Mc1600 that's pretty rough.
Sounds like the American tourister gorilla did the survey
ReelEnjoyment — I was HOT when I got down there. I keep our boat, especially my engine room, shipshape, so was pretty taken aback by the disrepect.
I don't Facebook
But I wonder if your surveyor has a Twitter or Facebook page telling the world how great they are?
And
I definitely smell what you're steppin in.
I get freaked out with others dragging duck poo on my boat with thier stupid shoes without attempting to wipe them off
I wouldn't let a surveyor on my boat without me there. Was your broker there at least?
Pages: 1 2