Tiara Yacht Owners Forum

Full Version: Thruster retrofit.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi - 

Has anyone installed a "side shift" bow thruster on a mid 90's tiara.  We have a 94 4000E, and dock where there is a lot of wind and current.  It can get exciting at times.  Considering adding a thruster, but really don't want to cut holes in probably the best glass boat on the market.  So, thinking through ideas, comments are much appreciated.  thanks
Hi Nukey99. Not only your twin but we also have a Vetus thruster. We did not install as it came with ours from a previous owner. This is the first boat we have owned with a thruster. Although I have played with it and used it, so far I haven't really "needed" it but I can see where it would be very helpful under some conditions.

I have to still master the "walking sideways" maneuver with thruster and helm control.

BTW, what is your hull number?

Paul
We are Hull number SSUM4007j394.  We have the cummins 6cta 8.3's rated at 400 hp.  Boat came to us with Cockpit airconditioning (two large systems) and full camper isenglass, stays very comfortable in the summer.

Considering the thruster as our dock is right on the intercoastal and has some pretty heavy currents, which can stretch my capabilities.
You are hull number 7 and mine is #15.

If you did not get or see the performance report for your boat, PM me with an email address  and I will send you the report on hull #28. I have compared their numbers to mine and it is scarily right on or so close it doesn't matter.

The canvas company just finished our new Isenglass enclosure and it works great on those cool bright winter days.

Also, I have all the factory manuals should you need any reference info.
If you have never owned a vessel with an electric thruster, keep in mind that you only have about 5 to 7 seconds of thrust before you have to let off. Holding it longer will eventually overhead the circuit and cause you to lose the thruster completely until the circuit cools down. Avoid going from one direction to the other fast. Let the thruster prop come to a stop before switching directions, otherwise you will shear the cotter pin or break something else. They are great aids, but they have their limitations.

Larger vessels use hydraulic thrusters to overcome this limitation, but the cost is much higher.

As far as maneuvering sideways with just a bow thruster, it can be done, but takes a good amount of skill and quick hands on the clutches and thruster. With the time limitation of an electric thruster, you are only going to get so much sideways movement.

To move the vessel sideways to Starboard, Stbd. engine fwd/Port engine aft and thruster to Stbd. Do the opposite to move the vessel to Port. You have to be fast however to keep the boat from getting turned around on you.

Good Luck!
Great input on the limitation of Thrusters.  A friend of mine down the block has hydraulic thrusters on his Jefferson 53, it's a pretty amazing system.