Tiara Yacht Owners Forum
norscot dripless shafts - Printable Version

+- Tiara Yacht Owners Forum (https://www.tiaraownersclub.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Tiara Yachts Discussion Forum (https://www.tiaraownersclub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General Repairs & Maintenance (https://www.tiaraownersclub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: norscot dripless shafts (/showthread.php?tid=375)



norscot dripless shafts - Persistence - 04-30-2013

i have them on a '94 3100 with crusaders. pretty sure one has bad seals and they are on order. anyone have any experience changing them? im not looking forward to it but the co. and a friend who is mechanical says it shouldn't be too bad...

thanks


norscot dripless shafts - Chris Burkard - 05-01-2013

Oil cooled correct?

I have never had the pleasure of changing them, but it should not be too bad. When you have the shaft coupler undone, check to make sure the clearance is even all the way around. I believe the spec is no more than 5 thousandths of an inch (if you have a feeler gauge). If it is more than that, and engine alignment needs to be performed and may have been the cause of the seal failures.

Another piece of advice. Props should be balanced every 5 years or so even if you have not hit anything. An out of balance prop will eventually lead to premature cutlass bearing failure and shaft seal failure.

Good luck!


norscot dripless shafts - Persistence - 05-07-2013

Thanks Chris, I'm hoping it goes well.


norscot dripless shafts - jeffnt - 05-07-2013

I have them on my 31, the seal is a positive seal and when you put boat back in water there will be an air pocket behind the seal in the stern tube.It is recommended to fill this void with water by loosening the two hose clamps on the seal housing until a trickle of water is visible and then retighten the clamps.

Good luck





norscot dripless shafts - Persistence - 05-07-2013

Thx Jeff, have you ever had to change them?


norscot dripless shafts - jeffnt - 05-09-2013

I have owned my 31 over two years never had a problem.I dont know if previous owner did.


norscot dripless shafts - wasabi - 06-25-2013

What is the symptom that leads you to believe the seal is bad?