Tiara Yacht Owners Forum
Cutting Sat TV - Printable Version

+- Tiara Yacht Owners Forum (https://www.tiaraownersclub.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Tiara Yachts Discussion Forum (https://www.tiaraownersclub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Electronics & Navigation (https://www.tiaraownersclub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+--- Thread: Cutting Sat TV (/showthread.php?tid=7740)

Pages: 1 2


Cutting Sat TV - GeoDoc - 07-07-2021

I have had sat tv on my last 4 boats and do not want to deal with Direct TV or Dish ever again. Many of my friends are streaming and doing OTA when available.

I have Comcast at home so there is nothing I can take to the boat.

Who is best? AT&T or Verizon? 

What else is needed besides a phone hot spot?

Which streaming provider, such as Youtube, is the best?


RE: Cutting Sat TV - ReelMagic - 07-08-2021

What I've found, in the Northeast, is most of the marinas now have WiFi available, free in most cases, I  use when traveling... Have added a WiFi extender to the boat which provides a much better connection to Marina WiFi. Mine ts a CampPro 2V2 system and easily found on the Web.. Installation is pretty easy as well. If your home provider is ComCast many of the streaming apps (ABC, NETfLIX, CBS, Hulu, etc) support this and allow you to log-on to their apps/channels free of charge... Been using the CampPro system for several years and works like a charm.... Need smart TV's or apple/Roku type of boxes.. BTW it gives you great Web access for your devices, Laptop, Ipad, etc as well..M2C


RE: Cutting Sat TV - GeoDoc - 07-08-2021

I have heard of the CampPro 2V2 but wondered about the difficulty of running the antenna wire to the inside.  

Also where it physically sits inside close to an electrical outlet. Tiara could have put an outlet on the starboard side of the salon...unless I can't find it.


RE: Cutting Sat TV - ReelMagic - 07-08-2021

The antenna for the CampPro is mounted on the hardtop next to the TV Antenna. I removed inside panel on the hardtop by the arch which gives you access to route the USB (antenna) cable down to the engine room forward to the back side of the circuit breaker panel.... On the circuit breaker panel in the engine room is a 110 outlet I used to power the CampPro Router which I mounted under the steps in the cabin. Just enough USB cable (24')... See attached photo of where I mounted it.


Cutting Sat TV - Misdirection - 07-08-2021

If you have Comcast, you can download their xfinity stream app to your iPhone. Then using a lightening cable, attach to the HDMI port on your TV. You can do the same thing from an Android phone and use smartcast if your on the marina wifi or use an HDMI adapter if you have a newer android with usb 3.0 on it.

If you have an unlimited data plan, this will work away from the marina...


Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk


RE: Cutting Sat TV - GeoDoc - 07-08-2021

Misdirection said:"If you have Comcast, you can download their xfinity stream app to your iPhone."

I have Comcast and now have their streaming app. But, I still need a Wifi signal from somewhere...right?


Cutting Sat TV - Misdirection - 07-08-2021

If you have wifi or data service on your phone (preferably an unlimited plan). Then you just share your phone to your tv. Let me know what type of phone you have, and Ill share a link to the adapter you need. A dedicated hdmi connection is the easiest way.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

If you have an iphone, use this adapter in conjunction with an hdmi cable.

[Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register]

This will display what ever is on your phone's screen to the tv.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk


RE: Cutting Sat TV - GeoDoc - 07-08-2021

iPhone 8 on AT&T so called unlimited plan


Cutting Sat TV - Misdirection - 07-08-2021

The adapter I linked above will solve your problem.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk


RE: Cutting Sat TV - ReelMagic - 07-08-2021

If you install the CampPro 2v2 system you don't need a phone plan at all and you get 4KHD besides. Most marinas today have free WiFi for their customers (transients as well). Why pay for an unlimited plan when WiFi is generally free. I get all the channels on my boat that the provider provides to me at home.