Tiara Yacht Owners Forum
3500 Express Swim Platform Davit Mounts - Printable Version

+- Tiara Yacht Owners Forum (https://www.tiaraownersclub.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Tiara Yachts Discussion Forum (https://www.tiaraownersclub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General Repairs & Maintenance (https://www.tiaraownersclub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: 3500 Express Swim Platform Davit Mounts (/showthread.php?tid=787)



3500 Express Swim Platform Davit Mounts - NIVEK - 07-29-2014

I have a 1999 3500 Express with the extended (4') integral swim platform. I plan to mount Nautley davits. Is the platform cored? If so, how thick? If cored I will overdrill and epoxy and drill. I plan to use togglers as I assume screws (lags) are not really suitable and no access for bolts. I have inquired with Tiara as well but I am looking for experience and advice from this group as well.
TIA,
Kevin


RE: 3500 Express Swim Platform Davit Mounts - Freedom - 02-04-2015

What did you find out and how did you install the nautley roll ons?  We are considering  the same roller type davits.


RE: 3500 Express Swim Platform Davit Mounts - Chris Burkard - 02-23-2015

Yes, the top of the platform is balsa cored. The edge and bottom are solid glass. The platform is hollow and if it fills with water, you are going to be carrying a few hundred gallons of water with you! Whatever you install into the platform has to be sealed properly. I hate the idea of using lags. I would much prefer through bolts with proper backing plates even if you have to drill access plates in order to access the hardware.

Just my $.02!

Good luck and let us know how it works out!


RE: 3500 Express Swim Platform Davit Mounts - RickT - 04-22-2015

Did you know that there is a second drain plug in the transom so if the swim platform does fill with water, you can drain it. It can easily carry 100 gallons of water if you don't check.


RE: 3500 Express Swim Platform Davit Mounts - Fiddlehead - 04-22-2015

Interesting - didn't know that.  I wonder if the 3500 Open is built the same way?

Can you describe the location of this second drain plug in the transom?  I'm going to look for it the next time I'm on my boat (it's still under shrink wrap unfortunately, but hopefully not too much longer!).    


RE: 3500 Express Swim Platform Davit Mounts - RickT - 04-22-2015

Not sure about the opens. I found the information about the second drain in my 2001 35' Express by reading the owners manual. On the express, you lift the hatch in the center of the trunk floor, and look aft for a  roughly 1 inch round plastic plug head in the center of the transom bulkhead down about 9" from the trunk floor. (same plug in the center bottom of the platform you remove for winter draining),  I leave mine very loose so any water that drips into the platform from the inspection hatches on top, drains into the bilge. And, the inspection hatches do leak a bit over time. Ignore  this second drain and you could be carrying an extra 700 or 800 pounds in the back of the boat.


RE: 3500 Express Swim Platform Davit Mounts - NIKJOH - 06-15-2016

hi Kevin.
did you find your answer?
nick