Tiara Yacht Owners Forum
3300 Deck Removal - Printable Version

+- Tiara Yacht Owners Forum (https://www.tiaraownersclub.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Tiara Yachts Discussion Forum (https://www.tiaraownersclub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General Repairs & Maintenance (https://www.tiaraownersclub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: 3300 Deck Removal (/showthread.php?tid=8028)

Pages: 1 2

3300 Deck Removal - Lucky Dog 33 - 11-15-2021

I have a decent amount of work ahead of me this winter. Most of which is me going overboard on stuff but that’s besides the point. I’d really like to have my deck lifted out so I can gain access to the engines much easier and have more room. I have access to the fork lift in the marina. 

Do I need to remove the seats and seat bases? Or can everything lift out as 1?

How should I go about supporting the deck? Can I simply put straps around the deck and sling it out with the forklift overhead? My concern is weight and cracking the glass if not properly supported. 

I know I need to disconnect electric and plumbing for the bait/tackle station, forward hinges, and piston ram. I don’t think there is anything else.

RE: 3300 Deck Removal - ardoski14 - 11-15-2021

Following along was thinking the same for my 33.

RE: 3300 Deck Removal - rcwiegand - 11-15-2021

I had work done on my 3500 Open and the dealer removed the seats prior to removing the deck.

RE: 3300 Deck Removal - Chadweiser - 11-15-2021

I have not done this, but I assumed I would need to remove the seats if I ever do.

RE: 3300 Deck Removal - cp4000 - 11-24-2021

I've done this before and it does make life a lot easier.  First I removed the starboard seat. (4 bolts which I replaced with hex head bolts so that I can put a vise grip on to remove by myself the next time.)  Then I disconnected the wet bar.  (Drain hose, electric service, water line.  Then 4 bolts which I also replaced with hex head bolts.)  Then take the 4 hinges off.  (Mark location so they go back in the same order.)  Disconnect the hydraulic ram.  Then I was able to close the deck and jump into the hatch opening and lift the deck lid up and towards the stern.  I then secured the deck to the transom while I performed the engine work.  I cut a 2"x12"x6' piece of wood as a walkway from the back deck to the companionway door.  With a little more practice, could do in well under 2 hours.  Moving blankets work great to help protect the deck and the pieces.
Good luck!

To lift as a single piece with a crane or a forklift, you would just need to disconnect the supply / drain / electrical lines, the hydraulic ram and the 4 hinges.  Then the whole piece should come out.  My wet bar is very heavy so the weight distribution is not ideal.  I wouldn't want to lift it out in one piece but that's just me.
Either way, good luck with your project!

RE: 3300 Deck Removal - Lucky Dog 33 - 12-01-2021

Ok thanks for all your input. Looks like I’ll be taking the seats off first. I was hoping not to but it’s the safest way. I’ll still have marina forklift all 3 pieces out so I have more room in the boat. Then have marina shrink wrap it when they wrap the boat.

RE: 3300 Deck Removal - tglass - 12-21-2021

(11-15-2021, 05:47 AM)Lucky Dog 33 Wrote: I have a decent amount of work ahead of me this winter. Most of which is me going overboard on stuff but that’s besides the point. I’d really like to have my deck lifted out so I can gain access to the engines much easier and have more room. I have access to the fork lift in the marina. 

Do I need to remove the seats and seat bases? Or can everything lift out as 1?

How should I go about supporting the deck? Can I simply put straps around the deck and sling it out with the forklift overhead? My concern is weight and cracking the glass if not properly supported. 

I know I need to disconnect electric and plumbing for the bait/tackle station, forward hinges, and piston ram. I don’t think there is anything else.

RE: 3300 Deck Removal - Lucky Dog 33 - 12-30-2021

Deck is out. Seats were easy but a two man job. I’m def going back with hex head as cp4000 mentioned so I can do this myself in the future. I took them out separate. Seats first then deck. For future reference if everything is empty in the storage seats, I def think you can lift out as 1 seats and deck.

Now the bad, I have 2 fwd hinges that are completely rusted out and rotted. Any idea where I could buy original hinges? My only other alternative would be to have a local shop fabricate something for me.

RE: 3300 Deck Removal - Jack Stevens - 11-30-2022

If you are still interested in making access ti the engine real easy I can show you pics of how I reversed the hinge system on my 3300 Open so that now I can flip the hatch cover open by myself without removing any seats. Did this project early on when needed to get into the engine room and discovered it was crazy the way they had it set up.

RE: 3300 Deck Removal - ardoski14 - 12-06-2022

(11-30-2022, 07:41 PM)Jack Stevens Wrote: If you are still interested in making access ti the engine real easy I can show you pics of how I reversed the hinge system on my 3300 Open so that now I can flip the hatch cover open by myself without removing any seats.  Did this project early on when needed to get into the engine room and discovered it was crazy the way they had it set up.

Love to see how you did this on the on 33 Open. Feel free to email me also cardanowski@gmail.com