Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HELP for Noobie!
Hi!  First time boat buyer, long time boat lover here.  To be candid, I need some advice.  I am looking at purchasing a mid 90’s Tiara 35 Express.  I am open to all advice, comments and help here.  Will for sure get a survey and water trial.  Crusader gas engines have about 1,000 hours and this is a fresh water boat.   Since this is my first boat I am need help knowing what I should really be looking for here in terms of issues.  Also is this too much boat for a first time buyer?  Did these have any know issues like soft decks or water leaking into the core?  Also trying to figure what my downside is on the engines...how much would it cost to rebuild the engines if they completely crappy apart on me once I get it in the water this summer?  May look at the boat this weekend so again ANY advice would be great!
Like Post Reply

:
(02-04-2021, 04:21 PM)Noobie101 Wrote: Hi!  First time boat buyer, long time boat lover here.  To be candid, I need some advice.  I am looking at purchasing a mid 90’s Tiara 35 Express.  I am open to all advice, comments and help here.  Will for sure get a survey and water trial.  Crusader gas engines have about 1,000 hours and this is a fresh water boat.   Since this is my first boat I am need help knowing what I should really be looking for here in terms of issues.  Also is this too much boat for a first time buyer?  Did these have any know issues like soft decks or water leaking into the core?  Also trying to figure what my downside is on the engines...how much would it cost to rebuild the engines if they completely crappy apart on me once I get it in the water this summer?  May look at the boat this weekend so again ANY advice would be great!

It’s a great boat, very big for 35. If your not going anywhere far the gas engines are fine, but really need diesels in that boat for real travel. 
ISBIB
Like Post Reply
Get a good surveyor and if you purchase prior to sea trial, best to get an escrow setup. 1K hours isn't much for fresh water crusaders. They do somewhat work hard pushing the 35 on plane but not outside of their design limits. If there are any major issues with the engine it would more than likely be limited to the top end. Compression test will tell you a lot.

The 35e is a good boat. coring around thru hulls, engine air intakes and anchor lockers are known to get moisture over time if not checked and dealt with. I would also prefer diesels but gas engines will have no issues pushing that boat wherever you want to take it.

Good luck and let us know if you have any other questions or if you join the Tiara family.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jclark003's post:
bsause (02-11-2021)
Like Post Reply
Check the transom for moisture especially around the scuppers. I am sure your surveyor will have a moisture meter. Given it is a fresh water boat I am not sure how often the exhaust elbows need to be checked for blockage but that would be something I would look at to make sure they are not leaking. Are the engines 454's or the 8.1 liter? Fuel injected or carb?
Like Post Reply