Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hydraulic fluid reservoir cap for steering
So, I have a leak of Hydraulic fluid coming from the reservoir cap for steering.  My mechanic says that he cannot put new threads in the aluminum and that the only fix is to replace the entire helm portion of the steering system (for $750 for parts alone).  Have any of you had this problem and if so what did you do to repair it.  Who was the manufacturer of this system for the 1997 3100 open? I am hoping that there is some kind of repair part or kit without replacing the whole thing.  Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dennis
Like Post Reply

I think pictures would help a lot. 
Tom
Like Post Reply
Unfortunately I am to far from the boat at this time. The leak is coming from the little plastic cap right behind the steering wheel, between the wheel and the helm wall. They say it is a fill and breather cap.
Like Post Reply
If I remember correctly, I had a 1997 31 Open, the breather cap had an O-ring on it....... Not sure if yours has one or not but that may be the reason it appears to be leaking.... BTW my current Tiara which is a 38 Open has the same steering system and the breather cap also has an O-ring on it.... Both are Hynautics (Sea Star) steering systems...... M2C
Like Post Reply
(04-04-2016, 03:38 PM)ReelMagic Wrote: If I remember correctly, I had a 1997 31 Open, the breather cap had an O-ring on it....... Not sure if yours has one or not but that may be the reason it appears to be leaking.... BTW my current Tiara which is a 38 Open has the same steering system and the breather cap also has an O-ring on it.... Both are Hynautics (Sea Star) steering systems...... M2C

Yes, that is the cap I am talking about. Evidently it is threaded and supposedly the threads that the cap screws into is aluminum and they are stripped out. So it leaks even with the O-ring. I am going to try to contact the manufacturer to see if there is a fix besides replacing the whole unit.

Thanks
Dennis 
Like Post Reply
A little thread dope or compound or Teflon piping tape might seal the threads if there are any cuts too large? In combination with a a new o-ring it might not totally stop any leak, but minimize it a bunch. I'd try that before i spent any big dollars.  Simplest is usually easiest fix - learned from experience.

Let us know if it works.
Like Post Reply
Before I replace the entire unit I would re-thread the unit to the next size larger thread or install a "heli-coil" which would allow the original cap to be used. Would require cleaning the inside of the unit to ensure no metal chips get into the pump mechanism... Using the next size larger would also require a new screw cap that has matching threads....  Surprised that so much fluid is leaking..... Maybe Dakota773 fix may be the easiest/fastest.....
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  VP IPS 600 - Steering not responding correctly Thomas59 3 211 08-13-2019, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Thomas59
  Hydraulic fluid leaking nukey99 7 2,108 07-05-2018, 06:38 PM
Last Post: Sans Peur
  Tiara 40 express Hydraulic System borcheb 2 927 05-16-2018, 08:44 PM
Last Post: borcheb
  Hydraulic Steering Level borcheb 2 592 07-08-2017, 09:29 AM
  40 Express - Hydraulic Cylinder Manufacture and Specs borcheb 3 714 06-07-2017, 09:29 PM