Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Freshwater drains
Hi. Found the freshwater tank in my new-to-me 38 Tiara. Can't find the drain. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Like Post Reply

I own a 2003 38 Open and don't believe there is a drain for the fresh water tank..  Not sure where your tank is but mind is under the steps going down below.... Lift the stair steps and then the small white hatch.... It exposes the water tank level sensor, the vent line, and the fill line... No drain however....Never needed it to winterize. Just pump out as much as you can using the fresh water pumps and remove/drain the strainer that's located under the deck hatch ;located midships near the door to the head. The fresh water pumps are also located there...
[-] The following 1 user Likes ReelMagic's post:
bwoods94 (11-19-2016)
Like Post Reply
(11-19-2016, 03:26 PM)ReelMagic Wrote: I own a 2003 38 Open and don't believe there is a drain for the fresh water tank..  Not sure where your tank is but mind is under the steps going down below.... Lift the stair steps and then the small white hatch.... It exposes the water tank level sensor, the vent line, and the fill line... No drain however....Never needed it to winterize. Just pump out as much as you can using the fresh water pumps and remove/drain the strainer that's located under the deck hatch ;located midships near the door to the head. The fresh water pumps are also located there...

Thanks! Got her done today. Manual says to drain the tank which leaves me to think there is a drain somewhere???

Like Post Reply
I also read the manual and was led to believe there was an easy way to drain tank but after talking to reelmagic did what he did.might be a good question for Tiara what they were talking about when they put that in manual.Bill
Like Post Reply
After 10 years looking for a fresh water tank drain I've given up... If anyone finds one please let us all know.......
Like Post Reply
Spent several hours on the boat winterizing it and couldn't find a drain. But manual definitely says to locate the tank under the steps and drain it. Odd.

Like Post Reply
On my '03 35 Open there is a small white threaded plug on the forward face of the tank near the bottom  (port side of front face).  It can be turned with a wrench.  I was told to remove it to drain the freshwater tank so the freshwater floods the bilge and is removed by the high flow bilge pump instead of the freshwater pumps.

With that said, it's tough to get at and I have a fear of not being able to get it back in so I have just used the freshwater pumps lol...but it's there.
Like Post Reply
(11-19-2016, 08:53 AM)bwoods94 Wrote: Hi. Found the freshwater tank in my new-to-me 38 Tiara. Can't find the drain. Thanks in advance.

I've not seen drains on any fresh water tank installed in the four boats we have owned. They emptied by running them out of water through an open faucet. Any remaining water in the tank drains out when the water filter is removed for cleaning. What are you trying to accomplish by draining the tank?
Like Post Reply
I always look for a low point in the fresh water plumbing such as the filter and drain the tank into the bilge. The BP can handle the flow whereas the fresh water pump is not built for continuous pumping.   Capt.  George
Like Post Reply
Those pumps are robust. We shower and use tank water for everything. The key to keeping the tank water fresh is to use a good source of chlorinated municple water and go through it every week. We empty our tank every day when cruising.
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  41 Open Freshwater Pumps tglass 6 3,120 05-17-2020, 09:58 AM
Last Post: tglass
  stumped - partial freshwater pressure & pump wont stop running ecsurfinglbi 8 5,411 11-13-2019, 03:03 PM
Last Post: Knot On Call
  Freshwater pump leak. 2002 3100 Open dsendre 5 4,206 05-12-2019, 05:25 PM
Last Post: dsendre
  Tiara 2900 - No Freshwater Pressure ?? efontana 3 3,004 04-13-2017, 07:24 AM
Last Post: efontana
  Bilge drains kurts52 1 2,733 10-22-2013, 02:19 PM
Last Post: Chris Burkard