Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exhaust volume
Got a couple ideas, but has anyone had great success with reducing the engine and exhaust roar of the 8.1's...
Like Post Reply

Hi again Henry!

Tiara uses fiberglass horizontal mufflers on the Coronet. I believe they were manufactured by Vernea (sp?).

To replace those mufflers would likely require cutting the cockpit deck and then there is no guarantee that you could find another muffler capable of reducing the engine rumble that would fit.

Another avenue to follow would be add insulation to the engine room hatch and replace the engine room hatch seal. This may drop the decibel levels, but I'm not sure by how much. You could also look into wrapping the exhaust in the engine room with insulation blankets (I would consult with an exhaust expert before going down this avenue).

Sincerely,
Chris Burkard
[Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register]
Like Post Reply
I have a 2005 2900 w/ 8.1. recently measure dB at 82 at wot. My boat has sound insulation in the engine room.
Like Post Reply
Henry, Post a pic of your new paint job! If you give me permission, I can post it. It looks awesome!
Chris Burkard
Like Post Reply
Inboard ski boats use FAE (Fresh Air Exhast) pipes. This is simply taking the exhaust and putting it into the water about 1 foot below to muffle the exhaust and sequester the CO.
Also, sound insulation is a must. Just remember, you are dealing with low frequency vibration (below 1000 hz) and thus the engineering should be based on absorption, not deflection(reactive). Absorption silencers would be very time consuming and expensive, and in the end you'll still need sound deadening material. So if you want down and dirty with best results. Buy exhaust blankets and FAE pipes. FreshairExhaust.com will make what you need. Our 6.0 inboard tige is so damn quiet you don't know the engines running....and this makes everybody happy. Wish I could post pictures???? Rorell.

Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  mechanic has giving me a invoice to replace exhaust .. HOLY SH***T ctkite 2 243 04-02-2021, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Matta0413
  [Tiara Open] Exhaust manifold getting hot 0007Boating 21 2,433 06-28-2020, 04:45 PM
Last Post: 0007Boating
  [Tiara Coronet] Exhaust elbows Capt. Paul 2 738 10-31-2019, 03:03 PM
Last Post: Matta0413
  exhaust fittings drifter 4 2,325 03-26-2015, 03:01 PM
Last Post: drifter
  Crusader exhaust Y or T fitting Wish You Were Here 0 2,236 02-08-2012, 09:24 PM
Last Post: Wish You Were Here