Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new owner, need maintenance/cleaning advice
hello all, im a new tiara 39  coupe owner.  need some advice on how to keep it looking new.  what soap, soap/wax combos are appropriate for the decks and  for the painted hull. any and all advice would  be greatly appreciated as there are lots of options out there with tons of opinions, but none from actual tiara owners.  I'm thinking you guys know best what products are top quality. 
thanks.
Like Post Reply

(04-22-2017, 04:16 PM)Rocking Chair Wrote: [Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register] and their cleaners. This is a local guy to me, and is owner inventor. This stuff smells amazing. Makes you happy !!!

I also keep a bottle of wisk detergent on the boat.

I love marine spray nine (west marine )
Need to Dilute this with some water, it will remove wax. I use the spray 9 for early season deep clean and decks non skid.

Get a bottle of

[Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register]

I had a marine detailing business years ago, I swear by this wax !!! Use by hand if you don't have experience with machine, you could burn the gel coat or paint.

Let me know if you need help!

Capt. Brett
USCG Master Licensed Captain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Capt. Brett M. Sause
USCG Master Licensed Captain 

[Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register]

[-] The following 1 user Likes CaptBrett's post:
Rocking Chair (04-22-2017)
Like Post Reply
I do all my own maintenance and cleaning and try to keep my '88 squeaky clean so here is my choice of products for an old boat.
Blue Coral car wash from Walmart. Takes off the dirt without touching the wax.
Super Clean from Walmart. It takes off everything including wax and skin so you better wear gloves and not inhale the fumes. It says biodegradable on the label. It will make your bilges look new.
Whink from ACE hardware. It takes off rust stains real fast with no damage to the gelcoat.
WD-40 from Walmart. I buy it by the gallon. It takes off most grease and scuff marks and is a necessity on any boat.
Soft Scrub from the grocery store. It's mildly abrasive and takes off anything that WD-40 won't touch.
3M Cleaner Wax from West Marine. Seems to last quite long in the Florida sun.
Trewax from West Marine. Tough to apply but is an even longer lasting wax with lots of carnauba.
Tilex from the grocery store. Stops mold and we have lots of it in Florida. Probably not the best for vinyl cushions but nothing else works as well.
A square bucket and a good scrub brush from West Marine. Not too stiff or too soft. Shurhold 2110 Hammerhead is my favorite.
Capt. George
Like Post Reply
(04-22-2017, 04:16 PM)Rocking Chair Wrote: hello all, im a new tiara 39  coupe owner.  need some advice on how to keep it looking new.  what soap, soap/wax combos are appropriate for the decks and  for the painted hull. any and all advice would  be greatly appreciated as there are lots of options out there with tons of opinions, but none from actual tiara owners.  I'm thinking you guys know best what products are top quality. 
thanks.

Congratulations on the new Coupe. The paint on your boat is DuPont Imron. It has the same property's as automotive paint. I sell new Tiara Coupes in Newport Beach,CA. We suggest not using any soap during wash for the first few months as it strips the wax off. We use this paint on high end boats with colored hulls so that you don't have to do a ton of maintenance. It want to oxidize like gel coat. If you want to do anything at all to protect it just apply a wax specifically made for paint and not gel coat designed to protect the earth from the sun. I would say apply this by hand or with a random orbital polisher that you can buy at wal mart etc. Do this twice per season and your all set. Just to be clear I down suggest using a buffing wheel until later in the boats life when it losses some of its luster.

For the gel-coated portions of the boat....buff once per year with a buffing wheel and wax mid season if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[-] The following 1 user Likes bigboatben's post:
Rocking Chair (04-23-2017)
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  cleaning teak&holly cabin floor OurHighLife 4 524 08-29-2023, 06:23 AM
Last Post: ReelMagic
  [Tiara Open] Yearly maintenance mc307tank 6 1,360 06-09-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: Newbie7749
  New Tiara Owner-Questions 904polarized 4 1,029 03-24-2023, 06:07 AM
Last Post: Sans Peur
  Cleaning seacocks honest mark 3 1,049 07-21-2022, 08:41 PM
Last Post: jclark003
  [Tiara Open] Cleaning the 50 amp cable CaptBrett 18 10,910 02-13-2022, 02:55 PM
Last Post: CaptRCA