Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
power problem connecting to pedestal with GFI breakers
Anyone having issues connecting to to pedestals with ground fault breakers?

Connected 2 shore power cordsets to 30 amp side on pedestal then boat as soon as I turn on cockpit breakers pedestal gfi’s trip. System on boat checked out fine.
Like Post Reply

You probably have a neutral (white) and ground (green) touching somewhere.

That seems to be a pretty common issue with Marina's upgrading the electrical. BoatUS had a good article on this last month. If I can find the article, I'll post it.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

[Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register]

Wasn't BoatUS, but here is the article I was referring to.

Like Post Reply
Had that problem this year in new marina even with all boat breakers off as soon as i plugged into receps on boat and flipped the mains at the shore power conns it would trip. so then i moved my cord to a different shore pedestal and it was fine. Called in the electrician who had installed the breakers and he fixed the problem by replacing the gfcis. This marina has had this issue with several boats.
Like Post Reply
Thanks for the quick replies. Had all breakers in boat off as well. Pointing towards pedestal gfci’s. Marina electrician mentioned they’re running into the issue regularly.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Snowballs's post:
reeltimebrad (06-05-2019)
Like Post Reply
(05-30-2018, 07:37 AM)Misdirection Wrote: [Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register]

My Marina just upgraded all the pedestals and marina wiring to the new National Electric Code with GFCI pedestals and now when I plug in both 30 amp shore power cords and turn on breakers it trips the GFCI at the pedestals.  I can use one or the other power cord and everything works fine, but once I turn on the breaker for the second power cord both trip at the pedestal.  Any tips for troubleshooting appreciated.
Like Post Reply
Faulty gfci's were a problem for me also even though they had recently replaced them in all in the pedestals it seems a high number were faulty. Slip owner tried convincing me it was my boat because they had recently upgraded all the marina wiring.
Like Post Reply
(05-19-2019, 08:22 PM)3200Open Wrote: [Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register]

My Marina just upgraded all the pedestals and marina wiring to the new National Electric Code with GFCI pedestals and now when I plug in both 30 amp shore power cords and turn on breakers it trips the GFCI at the pedestals.  I can use one or the other power cord and everything works fine, but once I turn on the breaker for the second power cord both trip at the pedestal.  Any tips for troubleshooting appreciated.My guess is somewhere you have the two shore power neutral circuits crossed.

Do you have two ac units on the different 30 amp main breakers and only one circulation pump? That is usually a culprit.

Like Post Reply
One thing you may want to try is if someone at your marina has a good quality 30 amp splitter, borrow that and test with a single 30 amp cord. That way, even if you do have neutrals crossed on your boat, you shouldn't be tripping the breaker.

Like Post Reply
(05-19-2019, 08:22 PM)3200Open Wrote: [Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register]

My Marina just upgraded all the pedestals and marina wiring to the new National Electric Code with GFCI pedestals and now when I plug in both 30 amp shore power cords and turn on breakers it trips the GFCI at the pedestals.  I can use one or the other power cord and everything works fine, but once I turn on the breaker for the second power cord both trip at the pedestal.  Any tips for troubleshooting appreciated.

The fact that you can use one or the other (and I’m assuming that you’re NOT changing the cables’ configuration when you do that) tends to point the finger at the pedestal.

If you have (or can borrow) two 30 amp to 15 amp converters you can verify the issue isn’t your boat. Hook up the converters and plug in two substantial loads (e.g. a portable compressor and a pressure washer). If you can operate both at the same time it’s NOT the pedestal. However, if the pedestal trips in this configuration it’s obviously the pedestal (as opposed to your boat).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Like Post Reply
So it seems that all the Tiara's at our marina have the same problem with the new GFCI pedestals. Some other brands are having problems as well. Here is what we found, the new NEC code for marina power pedestals require GFCI protected outlets for the shore power cords. These look for a maximum of 30 milliamperes max difference between the hot and neutral wires within the shore power feed, if the pedestal outlet sees anything more than 30 milliamperes difference between hot and neutral then it trips the pedestal breakers. On Tiara's, with (2) 30 amp shore cords, the neutral gets shared behind the main breaker panel and the pedestals cannot match the hot and neutrals because it cannot differentiate with shared neutral. The solution was to separate the shore 1 and shore 2 neutrals to 2 different bus bars(my boat had 2 neutral bus bars that were connected via jumper wire) keep the hots associated with its neutrals so that each shore power feed has its own dedicated hot and neutrals. On my boat, the only thing on shore power 2 is the cabin AC/Heat. Everything works fine now with not trips. Hope this helps others as they move to these new pedestals.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 3200Open's post:
Misdirection (07-04-2019)
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fridge and freezer isotherm combo only work with shore power or genset Toyoda 2 1,406 07-26-2023, 03:55 PM
Last Post: Sapphire
  No power to dash Mydiamond 5 1,592 05-07-2023, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Mydiamond
  Upgraded to GFCI breakers and now mine pops all the time. '88 3300 open cp4000 10 3,278 03-08-2023, 08:07 PM
Last Post: dplunske@cwpm.net
  [Tiara Convertible] Light with No Power Question T.Roy 3 1,349 06-14-2022, 01:32 PM
Last Post: Misdirection
  No shore power to one side of AC panel wcish 3 1,271 05-01-2022, 05:05 PM
Last Post: eric_nelson