Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AC for a 31' Open
Moved from open forum.

Hi all, I have a '94 31' open and I'm looking to install ac/heat. I got some info on 12,000btu webasto. Will that be adequte? And what kind of job am I looking at? I'd probably look to have someone install it for me.

Right now the boat has not ac and no gen. I dont think I need a gen now, but will need a 2nd power hookup. I'm in Boston, so will probably only need to run it dockside.

thanks!
Like Post Reply

Have you looked at Crusie Aire or Marine Aire? I think you may find those two options less expensive than Webasto. I think 12000 Btu will be more than enough (might be too big) for your 31. I would ask other 31 owners what they have. I have used my reverse cycle heat with water temps in the 40's and it worked OK.
Like Post Reply
Thanks, I think i got a good price on a webasto thats why i was thinking that. i have called a local marine eng co who put in a 16k in my friends older 30 sea ray. they do carry webatso and say they install a lot of them, but we will discuss other options /needs also. i'm waiting to hear what another friend put in his '96 31 open a few years ago. he wasn't sure of the size, but says its plenty. I know ill need a 2nd power hookup and a new sea chest. stupid question, but could the head overboard thru hull be used instead? hate the thought of putting more holes in a boat than needed Smile.

would love to hear from others. thanks
Like Post Reply
The original Tiara Optional Air-Conditioning Unit for a 31 Open would have been a 12,000 BTU Marine Air unit. The Webasto 12,000 BTU should be fine. They may be able to hook it up to the single 30 AMP line you already have. Currently the only things tied to the single 30 are the Battery Charger, Cooktop and Microwave. 30 AMP is enough to run the Air and Battery Charger and may even run everything all at once. We used to use a single 30 to run a 35 Tiara Open which had a 16,000 BTU AC unit, battery charger and the AC refrigerator all at the same time without issue. (We used a single 30 AMP splitter to connect the two vessel 30s)
Chris Burkard
[Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register]
Like Post Reply
The original Tiara Optional Air-Conditioning Unit for a 31 Open would have been a 12,000 BTU Marine Air unit. The Webasto 12,000 BTU should be fine. They may be able to hook it up to the single 30 AMP line you already have. Currently the only things tied to the single 30 are the Battery Charger, Cooktop and Microwave. 30 AMP is enough to run the Air and Battery Charger and may even run everything all at once. We used to use a single 30 to run a 35 Tiara Open which had a 16,000 BTU AC unit, battery charger and the AC refrigerator all at the same time without issue. (We used a single 30 AMP splitter to connect the two vessel 30s)
Chris Burkard
Like Post Reply
Thx guys. Missed you in oct Chris, it was a busy weekend Wink
Like Post Reply
So, without actually measuring the space first, any idea if this unit will fit ? Thx
Like Post Reply
&
(11-22-2013, 06:35 PM)Persistence Wrote: Thx guys. Missed you in oct Chris, it was a busy weekend ;)
I Installed my own on a 87 31 Open. 12000 is plenty and a single 30 amp will work. What I did was find a like model of yours and verify location of main unit along with water supply system. Size of different brands will make a difference. Your ac distribution panel shoot have a spot for the breaker.
Like Post Reply
This is the brand I installed on my last boat and will be if/when my current AC unit goes. Keep in mind that you need to order the mounting brackets separately as most AC units don't come with them as they figure you will reuse the ones from your old unit.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Like Post Reply
(11-22-2013, 11:08 AM)Persistence Wrote: Thanks, I think i got a good price on a webasto thats why i was thinking that.  i have called a local marine eng co who put in a 16k in my friends older 30 sea ray.  they do carry webatso and say they install a lot of them, but we will discuss other options /needs also.  i'm waiting to hear what another friend put in his '96 31 open a few years ago. he wasn't sure of the size, but says its plenty. I know ill need a 2nd power hookup and a new sea chest. stupid question, but could the head overboard thru hull be used instead? hate the thought of putting more holes in a boat than needed Smile.

would love to hear from others. thanks

I have 16,000 BTU in a 3600 open in South Florida and it is like a meat locker in the summer.
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Tiara Open] Larger and Smart TV for 2006 3600 Open Trainman 0 762 10-20-2023, 05:36 PM
Last Post: Trainman
  [Tiara Open] Extend Swim Platform 1988 36 Open tomconroy 1 685 09-19-2023, 01:57 PM
Last Post: Hooper
  [Tiara Open] 3000 Open Randyracer1 0 917 05-31-2022, 02:56 PM
Last Post: Randyracer1
  Nautley Dinghy Davits for our 3500 Open Fiddlehead 8 8,217 04-24-2022, 11:17 AM
Last Post: MC1600
  Camperback for 1988 Tiara 3300 Open hutchyyj 1 2,726 05-09-2021, 02:49 PM
Last Post: mggilmorern@gmail.com