Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tiara 3200 Gas or diesel?
Looking to purchase.  Boat broker tells me 90% were made with gas engines?  When I look at boats for sale, it seems the vast majority are offered with diesels.  Does anyone know? User comments one way or the other?
Like Post Reply

Gas 454's should provide plenty of power for a 3200. I would think on the great lakes, you'll find alot of gassers. In salt water, diesel might be popular for those looking for fuel economy and the need to run offshore. Just take your time and find the one you want with the options you want.

Good luck.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Like Post Reply
I owned a 1997 31 Open w/Crusader 454's and was more than pleased with their performance over the 10 years I owned the boat. Did everything we wanted. Traveled extensively as far south as the Chesapeake, east up to Boston, and north to Canada via Lake Champlain... Believe gas in a 32 would perform similar to the 31... Now own a 38 Open w/Cummin's Diesels and know there needed for this size/weight.  Always felt the limit for gas was the 35 Open which most likely performs better w/Diesels... M2C
Like Post Reply
We’ve had a Tiara 3200 with 8.1L Crusaders for three years now and love it. Originally looked for a boat with Diesels but went with this one after sea trial. Performance is outstanding and it handles well around the dock. Mileage and range is not as good as with Diesels but it is not an issue on the Great Lakes. Performance is great and the 8.1L Crusaders are known for durability. Depending on your need for extra range, I would consider a gas boat in this model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Like Post Reply
(04-26-2019, 07:51 AM)TomRoss Wrote: Looking to purchase.  Boat broker tells me 90% were made with gas engines?  When I look at boats for sale, it seems the vast majority are offered with diesels.  Does anyone know? User comments one way or the other?

I’m a marine professional (BSc in Marine Engineering). IMHO, provided correctly sized engines are used a low 30’s sized boat will perform just as well with gas engines as with Diesel engines.

The reason bigger boats aren’t provided with gas engines is simple! Nobody builds gas engines large enough to power them!

The real difference are as follows:
1) Diesel is safer as a marine fuel than gas.
2) Diesel engines achieve max torque at significantly lower RPM’s.
3) All things being equal, Diesel engines will outlast gas engines.

Having said that, provided you keep in mind that you’re sitting on a Molotov cocktail and you’re going to be an average user (100 hours/year) you’ll be good with gas engines.

However, if you’re going to be stupid (e.g. replace a marine starter - explosion protected - with an automotive starter or neglect to properly maintain your engine room ventilation system) then you’re likely going to be a contender for the Darwin Award...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Tiara Open] Battery Interconnect Switch on 3200 WHITESPRAY 6 317 02-21-2019, 10:08 PM
Last Post: jclark003
  TIARA 39 COUPE 2017 MMENDEZ@TELNETPR.COM 0 217 01-24-2019, 08:07 AM
Last Post: MMENDEZ@TELNETPR.COM
  Tiara model direction bpy 5 1,580 01-12-2018, 08:06 AM
Last Post: greylion
  New tiara owner, searching for info/brochure for 1986 sport cuddy davanti 2300 Zzombie 0 624 12-23-2017, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Zzombie
  Diesel Conversion Walker 5 1,588 09-14-2017, 08:05 PM
Last Post: sbw1