Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
454 Cut out need help
Hello everyone, I had a bad weekend...

went out Saturday ran 2 miles and trolled for 3 hours. I was 2 miles offshore when I was coming in my starboard motor started bogging down. I'd play with the throttle but it would go up and down and just bog more.

Came in changed the oil, wait 3 hours fired up went out to test ran up to 4400rpm, sounds great and ran fine.
i went back in to drop someone off,

went out about 8 miles and then starboard motor just died at 3100rpm and wont start again.

(06-10-2019, 03:22 PM)aiwa711 Wrote: Hello everyone, I had a bad weekend...

went out Saturday ran 2 miles and trolled for 3 hours. I was 2 miles offshore when I was coming in my starboard motor started bogging down. I'd play with the throttle but it would go up and down and just bog more.

Came in changed the oil, wait 3 hours fired up went out to test ran up to 4400rpm, sounds great and ran fine.
i went back in to drop someone off,

went out about 8 miles and then starboard motor just died at 3100rpm and wont start again.

1989 3100 open with 454 mercruiser motors
Like Post Reply

Define "Won't start"

1. When you turn the key on, do you hear the alarm tone? If you do, and it still won't start
get close to the fuel pump and listen to see if you hear it pumping.
2. Does it crank over but not start? If this is the case, check the fuel-pump relay.
3. Sounds like a fuel problem to me because if it is cranking and won't start, then
the fuel pump relay isn't closing, and you won't get fuel.
4. Check the Fuel-Water filters as well.
5. Could also be the elbow fitting (anti-siphon) valve at the top of the fuel tank.

(06-10-2019, 03:36 PM)efontana Wrote: Define "Won't start"

1. When you turn the key on, do you hear the alarm tone?  If you do, and it still won't start
   get close to the fuel pump and listen to see if you hear it pumping.
2. Does it crank over but not start?  If this is the case, check the fuel-pump relay.
3. Sounds like a fuel problem to me because if it is cranking and won't start, then
   the fuel pump relay isn't closing, and you won't get fuel.
4. Check the Fuel-Water filters as well.
5. Could also be the elbow fitting (anti-siphon) valve at the top of the fuel tank.

Also, check the pickup coil.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
HarmoneE²
Tiara 3800 Open, Onset MA
Like Post Reply
Deffinately sounds like fuel. Start with the easy stuff first. Change the fuel filters. When you remove them check to see if they are full or empty. Empty means it could be anti siphon valve or tank obstruction . Full would mean they are clogged, pump or something further along the line.
Like Post Reply
Easy way to confirm fuel delivery is crank it for a few seconds, remove flame arrestor, have someone advance throttle while looking down carb (with key off). If fuel is making its way to carb you should see two solid streams of fuel being sprayed down into manifold. No fuel then as suggested check fuel filter, inlet screen, fuel pump, vent and tank pickup. Some run a hose from gas can to fuel pump to eliminate tank, vent, pickup and fuel filter. Not very safe but if so inclined, make sure can is outside of bilge and away from any ignition or static sources.
Like Post Reply
It was the ignition module
Like Post Reply
Darn electronics, make you chase your tail every time.
Like Post Reply