Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rudder extensions
I have a 42 open , 2003 , i fish with it and when I get any wind my autopilot will not hold, I see a lot of charter captains with the rudder extensions, sum are welded on sum bolted on???? What would you guys go with??? These charter captains swear by them, they are smaller boats though???? Don’t wanna mess up my boat, thank you
Like Post Reply

What autopilot do you have on your boat? I ask because I have an older Simard unit with a Work mode. When in this mode, my boat will track in any condition that I'll fish in. Mine is the old AP35. Its direct replacement is the Simrad AP26. A friend in a similar boat had that model, it would barely go straight trolling with the waves. Likewise, my dockmate has a 33 Egg with a Raymarine AP. Can't troll with it as it kicked off under 2 knots.

I'd suggest investigating your AP to see if there are known issues trolling with that AP and any known solutions.

If that doesn't pan out, I'd contact Tiara and see what they say. Maybe replacing the rudders vs an extension or changing of the props might solve your problem.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Like Post Reply
i have a simrad autopilot, brand new 2 years ago, not sure the model, lol......hate to mess with the rudders, i think i may be able to adjust the gain and get it to track better?? im hoping
Like Post Reply
(05-05-2020, 04:13 PM)honest mark Wrote: i have a simrad autopilot, brand new 2 years ago, not sure the model, lol......hate to mess with the rudders, i think i may be able to adjust the gain and get it to track better?? im hoping
The litmus test if the AP should be able to work is can you manually steer under the conditions you want the AP to work? If so, the AP should be able to. If not, no AP can't do what the boat can't. I'll see what I can find about the latest model Simrad...

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Like Post Reply
thanks guys, i am gonna try the gain first, great idea...
Like Post Reply
I bolted custom stainless extensions onto the backs of my rudders. It's a royal pain to do but they can be removed if someday someone else wanted to. I also had to play around with gain settings and found that 3 is the best for my raymarine ap. Even so if its blowing hard I still have to switch motors to whichever one is opposite the wind.
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  rudder extensions honest mark 8 3,640 01-20-2020, 05:12 PM
Last Post: honest mark