Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Compressor for Air Horn makes excessive noise
on a 2008 Sovran, the air compressor for the horn makes excessive noise when operating, however, it works fine.  Is there a way to quiet it down or should it be replaced? The compressor is mounted just above the holding tank on the port side of the boat. Thanks
Scotty
Like Post Reply

I had a similar problem on the air horns on my 2003 38 Open. What I found was excessive noise from the air compressor was due to the diaphragms internal to the horns themselves were worn out. Hard to believe but the diaphragms weren't seating correctly witch made the noise at the compressor. Changed the diaphragms and the noise at the compressor went away.. Surprise, surprise. Not sure if that is your issue or not but I would consider changing the diaphragms ..   M2C
Like Post Reply
-Thanks Magic. What is the manufacturer of your horns?
Like Post Reply
FIAMM technologies is the manufacturer marketed as Fultone Series Twin, model 6235012. The service kit containing new diaphragms is Fultone repair kit 2132311.. Hope this helps
Like Post Reply
on a 2008 Sovran, the air compressor for the horn makes excessive noise when operating, however, it works fine.  Is there a way to quiet it down or should it be replaced? The compressor is mounted just above the holding tank on the port side of the boat. Thanks
Scotty
[/quote]

I just surveyed a 2010. Similar issue. In this case, the rubber mounts on the feet of the compressor were deteriorated. When I held down on the unit while it was running, it quieted down.
Like Post Reply
I would suspect the horns themselves, see above from me regarding a service kit.... Had the same noise and suspected the compressor as well.  Figured out the diaphragms weren't working correctly which caused excessive noise at the compressor.. Know it doesn't make sense but once I installed the service kit the noise at the compressor went away... BTW if you remove the 3 screws on the top of the horn(s) you will find a plastic disc that vibrates when compressed air is supplied. Most likely the plastic diaphragms are worn out and/or the rim on the inside of the horn(s) has dirt/salt on it as well.. Clean completely and make sure the rim is smooth.. Not much work to do and it's a lot cheaper than a compressor. This problem re-occurs every few years and I go through the same process and its always worked... I know it needs to be done when the compressor makes a lot of noise.. M2C
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Tiara Sovran] Air horn compressor Four Winds V 2 350 01-04-2024, 11:55 PM
Last Post: Four Winds V
  [Tiara Open] Trumpet horn replacement Capt. Tom 1 470 09-15-2023, 07:54 PM
Last Post: lakesidevu
  [Tiara Sovran] Horn compressor gdynkowski 6 1,575 05-19-2023, 08:54 PM
Last Post: Lobsta
  3500 express air horn giff1 2 800 05-10-2023, 06:12 AM
Last Post: The Duke
  Fiamm trumpet horn compressor location Capt. Tom 4 1,137 07-08-2022, 09:21 AM