Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tiara Open Water in hull under stair & fresh water pump
New to boating and trying to learn, just purchased a 2004 3100 ltd - anyone know why there would be water under the trap door under the stairs?  I pumped out 100+ gallons last night using a manual pump.  There's a clear box there with some sort of bilge - wondering if this is my mid bilge or aft bilge, and if it just failed. 

Also, the freshwater pump breaker pops as soon as I flip it & wondering if the wiring is down there - just cant seem to find where that is either.   Appreciate any information that's out there!
Like Post Reply

That box is the sump for your shower drain in the head & usually handles the condensate from the air conditioner as well.  If is fitted with a pump/float switch assembly & should discharge overboard via a through hull fitting.  Check for leaks/cracks - maybe sump is damaged & has been dumping directly into bilge.

Sorry, can't comment on the wiring issue.

Congrats on the boat, I'm in a '95 3100 & love it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes czarcone's post:
brijeski@optonline.net (08-29-2019)
Like Post Reply
(08-28-2019, 05:47 PM)czarcone Wrote: That box is the sump for your shower drain in the head & usually handles the condensate from the air conditioner as well.  If is fitted with a pump/float switch assembly & should discharge overboard via a through hull fitting.  Check for leaks/cracks - maybe sump is damaged & has been dumping directly into bilge.

Sorry, can't comment on the wiring issue.

Congrats on the boat, I'm in a '95 3100 & love it.

Thank you!
Like Post Reply
Sounds like you have either a float switch or pump issue in the sump box. That is why it is tripping the breaker. I would replace the pump and float switch. Have you been running the air conditioner? Have you taken the boat for a ride? All of that water should have drained to the bilge. If you had that much water your mid-bilge in the engine room should have been full too. Perhaps that pump is not working either?
Like Post Reply
Thanks for the advice!!! I was away and have been running the ac for the past 2 & 1/2 weeks. I have't taken the boat for a ride, the engine rooms looks fine - there was just a little waster there 1cm.
Like Post Reply
The fresh water pump will not have anything to do with the mid bilge pump or the shower sump. Those are on separate circuits. Check you fresh water pump. They are notorious for freezing up with lack of use.
Like Post Reply
Thanks - do you know where the fresh water pump is located?
Like Post Reply
Mine is in the center of the forward bulkhead of the engine room.
Like Post Reply
I bought a 94 this year and had a similar issue with water in the forward bilge that needed to be pumped out.

In my boat there is the shower sump which handles the drain water from the shower and the condensate from the AC system.  The box contains a bilge and float switch setup.  Water enters the sump box and is discharged over the side when the level is high enough.  If the switch and/or the bilge do not work then it would be reasonable to guess that the water would overflow the box and fill the forward bilge space.

In my boat next to the shower sump is automatic bilge pump that pumps out the space.  It is not plainly visible under the opening.  You have to feel for it.  I followed the bilge drain hose back to the pump.

In my case there was no power to either the bilge pump or the shower sump.   Perhaps you have something similar going on.

The freshwater pump is a different animal.  It pressurizes the freshwater system and is not connected to the shower sump or the bilge unless there is a leak.

If there is power to the sump box then check the bilge pump and switch operation.  Those should operate perfectly especially if you will be leaving the AC on for a few weeks before returning to the boat.

Best,

Duke
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Tiara Open] New To Me Tiara 36 Open Water System Question jayacarrion@gmail.com 2 1,144 08-29-2023, 05:30 AM
Last Post: bandnew
  [Tiara Sovran] Taking on water when running 52Frankfort 13 3,509 02-08-2022, 02:06 PM
Last Post: Matta0413
  Water around the shower sump robh19 3 1,126 01-01-2022, 07:21 AM
Last Post: Capt. Tom
  [Tiara Sovran] 2008 Sovran 3900 AC Raw Water Pump Relay location bbisland 1 1,222 12-21-2021, 10:40 AM
Last Post: Skipper747
  Height in water 3100 open Joeboch348 0 837 11-14-2021, 04:00 PM
Last Post: Joeboch348