Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Diesel fuel winter storage
Have a question, have a cummins qsm11 Diesel engine, first time diesel owner, should I put some sort of fuel stabilizer when storing for winter?? I store indoors heated storage??? I have about a half full tank of fuel right now, any other tips or ideas??? Thank you very much ?
Like Post Reply

Diesel will grow algae in it. Especially setting for awhile. I use mine a lot but still put some of the West Marine Biobor-jf in it. So far no issues.
Like Post Reply
I've stored my 38 Open for more than 10 years in the water during the winter. Prior to winterizing the boat I fill the tanks (diesel) and add Valvtect (Bioguard).. Been good so far.. Change the RACOR's and on-Engine fuel filters as well prior to putting the boat to bed for the winter. M2C
Like Post Reply
In water storage at the town Marina?
Like Post Reply
Yep....They install "ICE EATERS" to ensure ice doesn't build up around the poles and the marina in general. I winterize the boat completely and then have it shrink wrapped. So far so good. Quite a few boats winter in the water at the marina and seem to be satisfied as well.... Works for me and others...
Like Post Reply
I have stored my 31' Rampage at my dock for many of the last 18 winters (since we moved to waterfront), I winterize all systems except the engines, in case there is a warm sunny day in Jan or Feb so we can take a ride on the bay. I put a heater in the engine compartment with a light in the cabin that I can see from my deck & bedroom to verify power & I take rfegular walks out to the boat (no shirnkwrap). As you say "works for me".
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Diesel mechanic in my area CTSHARRON 0 253 09-18-2023, 05:13 PM
Last Post: CTSHARRON
  [Tiara Sovran] Anyone cleaned fuel vent flush mount Donaldjames 0 398 05-09-2023, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Donaldjames
  [Tiara Sovran] Prime Diesel Engine Donaldjames 3 811 04-15-2023, 06:43 AM
Last Post: MC1600
  [Tiara Open] water in fuel alarm lesliepawlak@yahoo.com 2 971 08-11-2022, 06:25 PM
Last Post: lesliepawlak@yahoo.com
  Generator fuel supply and unnecessary auto-off robin.joshua 2 1,004 05-14-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: Sans Peur