Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tiara Open 1988 3100 Open - Hatch Issue. Fix or Replace? Parts?
I have a 88' 3100 Open and where there are 2 larger stainless steel screws on the back hatch that covers the generator area.  The screws must have allowed some moisture in and the glass is lifting around those screws and only around those screws.  It is almost in a prefect 5" x 5" square around each screw.   It's very strange and happened when it was super hot/humid late last summer.    It hasn't totally broken the glass yet but if you look you can totally see it lifted and it's starting to spider web crack.  Must have gotten moisture in there is all I can think.   My thought was it would be tough to repair and get the same look.   My 2nd thought was grind it down, fix it and place non-skip over the entire deck so you wouldn't notice it.    Before I go either of those routes, does anyone know if there would be a Tiara graveyard somewhere where I could buy the hatch and just swap it out?   Any ideas or thoughts are appreciated, I'm totally new to this website......let me know.
Like Post Reply

(06-16-2017, 11:18 AM)Shadrap Wrote: I have a 88' 3100 Open and where there are 2 larger stainless steel screws on the back hatch that covers the generator area.  The screws must have allowed some moisture in and the glass is lifting around those screws and only around those screws.  It is almost in a prefect 5" x 5" square around each screw.   It's very strange and happened when it was super hot/humid late last summer.    It hasn't totally broken the glass yet but if you look you can totally see it lifted and it's starting to spider web crack.  Must have gotten moisture in there is all I can think.   My thought was it would be tough to repair and get the same look.   My 2nd thought was grind it down, fix it and place non-skip over the entire deck so you wouldn't notice it.    Before I go either of those routes, does anyone know if there would be a Tiara graveyard somewhere where I could buy the hatch and just swap it out?   Any ideas or thoughts are appreciated, I'm totally new to this website......let me know.

I had a similar issue on a hatch a few years ago, my local fiberglass guy took the hatch and used a router to cut out the bad parts from the backside, then made a few small incisions in the top, just enough to get it to lay down flat again and then glass’s in new plywood on the back....could hardly tell any work had been done.
Like Post Reply
(12-07-2019, 08:21 AM)jrblough@mtu.edu Wrote:
(06-16-2017, 11:18 AM)Shadrap Wrote: I have a 88' 3100 Open and where there are 2 larger stainless steel screws on the back hatch that covers the generator area.  The screws must have allowed some moisture in and the glass is lifting around those screws and only around those screws.  It is almost in a prefect 5" x 5" square around each screw.   It's very strange and happened when it was super hot/humid late last summer.    It hasn't totally broken the glass yet but if you look you can totally see it lifted and it's starting to spider web crack.  Must have gotten moisture in there is all I can think.   My thought was it would be tough to repair and get the same look.   My 2nd thought was grind it down, fix it and place non-skip over the entire deck so you wouldn't notice it.    Before I go either of those routes, does anyone know if there would be a Tiara graveyard somewhere where I could buy the hatch and just swap it out?   Any ideas or thoughts are appreciated, I'm totally new to this website......let me know.

I had a similar issue on a hatch a few years ago, my local fiberglass guy took the hatch and used a router to cut out the bad parts from the backside, then made a few small incisions in the top, just enough to get it to lay down flat again and then glass’s in new plywood on the back....could hardly tell any work had been done.
I had the same problem and also fixed it from the back side. There is a 5X5 piece of aluminum for the rear seat bracket in there that corrodes and expands that causes the problem. Cut out the back side, remove the aluminum, use a heat gun to soften the bulge and press it flat. Then re-glass the area from the back side and it will look like new.  Capt.  George
[-] The following 1 user Likes Uhehner's post:
reeltimebrad (12-09-2019)
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2005- 3600 Open Center Windshield Wiper Motor Cover Replacement Tminus3 0 112 03-21-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: Tminus3
  2005 Tiara 2900 Open Classic shaft size wlizondro 1 368 03-18-2024, 02:45 PM
Last Post: HIGH SPIRTED
  [Tiara Open] VHF Cable Run 3800 Open twilson0929 0 102 03-18-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: twilson0929
  Acrylic deck hatch lens giff1 2 143 03-10-2024, 12:42 AM
Last Post: HIGH SPIRTED
  [Tiara Open] 3100 Shaft Boxes cover Stan 1 326 02-22-2024, 05:50 PM
Last Post: Darksails