Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
41 Open Freshwater Pumps
Anyone have any experience diagnosing/repairing the freshwater pumps on a 41 Open or similar Tiara design.  The system was working fine however after emptying the tank for spring commissioning the system would not prime.  There are two pumps, one is a Flojet Water Pressure System pump model R4305-500 and the second is a Flojet Washdown pump model R4325-143.  I'm assuming the R4305 is controlled by Pump #1 on the DC panel and the R4305 is controlled by Pump #2 on the DC panel but that is an assumption.

When I turn Pump #1 on nothing happens.  When I turn Pump #2 on both pumps turn on but still will not build water pressure.  I disconnected the water line to the R4305 and I get some suction when I put my finger over the intake but have no way of telling if it is enough.  In addition I removed the air vent hose at the water tank thinking that a blockage may be preventing water flow but that made no significant change.

Any help appreciated.
Like Post Reply

I have the same setup on my 2003 38 Open. Believe your problem is that air is getting into the supply line from the tank to the pump(s). I have a filter between the tank and the pumps. It's close to the pumps and I removed the cover/screen for cleaning. After re-installing the screen/cover the pumps wouldn't prime... Removed the cover & re-installed after making sure the gasket was seated. After re-installation  the pumps primed and all was Ok. Remember to open any faucet when trying to get the system to prime ...M2C
[-] The following 1 user Likes ReelMagic's post:
Misdirection (05-04-2020)
Like Post Reply
Thanks Reel Magic.
I did remove the filter and cleaned the screen and re-installed even though it wasn't that dirty. At that point the filter was empty of water and activating the pumps would not even fill the filter. I then removed the air vent hose and got the filter to fill with water only after covering the vent tube with my hand (which seems counter-intuitive) but still not enough to prime the system. I did have the faucets open too.

I'll remove the filter again tonight and make sure its properly seated and try again.
Like Post Reply
ive run into this problem as well. Couple of things to check/try

1) increase level in water tank to reduce the amount of vacuum required to prime pump.
2) as previously recommended make sure intake hose/filter has no air leaks. If you have a household filter installed make sure o ring is greased and seated
3) prime the filter and also pump. Pouring water down the intake hose often will give you enough prime to get water up and out of tank.
4) sometimes cracking a faucet open will relieve airlock.
Like Post Reply
Tclass, I believe the filter cover is not installed correctly as what you describe is exactly the problem I had.. Re-installing the filter cover was my problem as the gasket wasn't seated correctly. The same problem has happened several times over the years and I now know what to do when the system won't prime after cleaning the filter.... If the filter doesn't fill quickly then that's the problem. Air is getting past the rubber gasket. Not sure why the gasket is such a problem but it is. M2C... Good luck
Like Post Reply
Thanks Everyone,
Checked the filter and re-installed, no change. I dug a little deeper and started disconnecting intake lines on the pumps. When I disconnected the 4325 washdown pump on the intake side the pressure from the accumulator tank blew out so I assumed the other pump, the 4305 water pressure pump, was doing its job (btw its impossible to tell which pump is running since they are screwed to the same mounting panel). I removed the 4325 pump and bench tested it on a 12v battery and it didn't work. New 4325 ordered and I'll post results after I install it.
TGlass
Like Post Reply
Installed the new pump and the system pressurized right away.
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New AC install on 1985 3100 open CaptChris2334 1 1,037 03-30-2024, 01:25 PM
Last Post: jtomlin@hurricanetv.com
  41 Open AC water pump vapor lock esf 3 509 08-07-2023, 04:07 PM
Last Post: esf
  1993 4300 open waste and water level indicators bpro 1 1,897 08-07-2023, 08:31 AM
Last Post: esf
  03' 38 open helm air vent P/N? jmm 3 1,116 03-05-2023, 06:44 AM
Last Post: ReelMagic
  3500 OPEN Crown Royal 0 637 06-17-2022, 10:09 AM
Last Post: Crown Royal