Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
50' Open (rare boat) Questions
Ok, I have a 2000 41 Open and I have a deposit on a 2003 Tiara 50 Open. Supposedly they didn't make many of these and it really fits my needs. It has the fabulous Tiara Interior the wife likes along with the fishing cockpit i need. I know these boats weren't made for long and they only made a few of them. Does anyone have knowledge of the good and bad of them?
Like Post Reply

I have no first hand knowledge, but there is a thread over on The Hull Truth that claims they ride a little bow high and not that great in a rougher chop. Not sure how a 40,000lbs boat can't ride nice in a chop...

[Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register]

As noted in that thread, an all chain rode might lower that bow some if it was an issue.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Like Post Reply
Thanks for the link. I know my 41 Open rides a little bow high unless I use quite a bit of tab. I expect the same from the 50. I will see on Tuesday when we survey and seatrial her. I dont worrry to much about really rough water handling. My 5' and up days are behind me. This will be mainly a cruiser with some fishing in between. Gives me the best of both worlds.

One thing I find weird in her is the breaker panel is in the engine room. There is no panel anywhere other than in there. I don't mind the engine room but if those cats are hot, it's gonna make it a little tougher to go switch things on.
Like Post Reply
I tried to purchase a 50 open and talked to an owner up here in Michigan several times. Great guy who does a lot of work with Tiara and an absolutely beautiful boat. From what he told me the boat did tend to ride a little nose high but not a big deal. if I remember correctly, he put all chain anchor rhode and maybe moved the hot water tanks forward a bit (can't remember everything he told me) which moved the CG forward and gave it a much better attitude.

Boat is supposedly amazing in a heavy seaway and the 3406 engine is arguably one of the best engines ever built by caterpillar. If boat is in salt water you may need to replace aftercooler of course and that's never cheap. Tiara did some other neat engineering things like an equalizing tube at the top of the fuel tanks so both tanks can be filled from either fuel cap. They offered a massive swim platform that looks like a helicopter landing pad and also had available a nifty nautical structures folding davit that popped up out of the transom

One downside is the hull sides tend to be wet in these boats. From what I know the coring is slightly exposed under the coming boards (or so I've been told). The owner I talked had to put some healthy work to repair the coring and seal everything up. Suggest your survey look close from exhaust outlet up to air intakes.

Personally I think Tiara gave up way too early on that boat. It makes a heck of a profile and is without a doubt the coolest open boat I have ever seen. I looked long and hard for one of these and ended up grabbing a 52 because I couldn't find one. Really hope this works out for you. Drop me a PM if you have any questions and I'll see if I can get in touch with the other owner and get you some answers. Best of luck.
Like Post Reply
I appreciate your info on it. I agree that it is a really good looking g boat. I have always fished hard and love the size of the cockpit on this boat. I thought my 41 was big but DAMN this is one monstrous fishing platform.

The aftercoolers were replaced with the updated ones in 2016 so I should be good to go on those.

This one has a large dive platform that is hydraulically actuated to lower into the water with a tender on it. I am not crazy about the length because it may interfere with landing a fish, but we mostly bring them along side anyway so I hope it isn't that much of an issue.

I will.pay close attention to the sides. I know the surveyors are using a thermal camera and that will show things like that pretty well.

Again. I appreciate any help and experience on this boat.
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tiara 3800 Open - Buyer's Guide AtlasRearden 13 5,210 01-19-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: hiccup
  2010 3600 Open Swim Platform bandnew 5 3,165 12-22-2023, 08:36 PM
Last Post: bandnew
  4200 Open with 660 Cummins range? Stripedo 3 2,661 12-19-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: Hifirush
  3100 open props bdastu21 2 2,033 11-29-2023, 03:26 PM
Last Post: hiccup
  [Tiara Open] 3600 Open rskdir@yahoo.com 7 6,315 11-22-2023, 10:06 AM