Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electronics setup: What to get... without breaking the bank (more that it already is)
Hi everyone.
Just got our first boat. A 2002 3100 Open. Has been sitting at the dock at least for the last 5 years based on the state of the cabin. Good news is that the engines, trannys, electric panel, etc are close to perfect, which was a bit of a surprise, frankly. The interior will need work in due time, as will the upholstery in the cockpit.

For now, my biggest concern is the navigation instruments. The boat currently has a raymarine L760 Plus that kind of works (loses GPS lock constantly) and a RL70c chartplotter/radar display that is totally shut. Not sure what the model of the radome is (it is a raymarine, probably about the same age as the displays), and have no way to know if it's still working (given that theRL70c is busted)

Would like a nice setup with a new touchscreen that will be reliable and not insanely expensive. Budget for all around 3k... does that sound OK?

Priorities:
Very reliable chartplotter/GPS navigation/depth meter performance and integratiom
Integration with the MEFI-4 gateways for our engines
Decent radar, sonar not that important
Easy to use!

Thanks a bunch!

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk
Like Post Reply

Right now Garmin and Simrad are the leaders in marine electronics. I replaced everything on my boat with Garmin. I was used to their operating systems and already had the blue charts. I was able to use my old transducer with the garmin because they have a splice box. I cut off the end of the cable, attached the wires to the terminals inside and hooked it into the system. Works perfect.

I don't think you are going to get a plotter and radar for $3k unless you find a deal on some used equipment.
Like Post Reply
Garmin's. lots of choices. Easy to use.

2006 Tiara 3800 Open with Cummins 8.3 QSC's
Like Post Reply
How about this bad boy? Does anyone have experience with it?

[Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register]

Like Post Reply
That looks like a pretty good setup. What are you going to do with the radar? If strictly navigation and weather it should be ok. If you are looking for birds it isnt going to work unless one lands on you hard top.
Like Post Reply
Lol. Just nav and weather. Thx

Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Tiara Open] Advice on Radar/electronics Fuggly 0 1,081 01-07-2024, 07:38 PM
Last Post: Fuggly
  Up graded electronics firstlight 4 891 06-09-2023, 07:17 AM
Last Post: firstlight
  38 tiara open electronics issue Tiara 38 open 2 2,461 02-26-2020, 05:57 PM
Last Post: Tiara Ron
  [Tiara Open] New electronics Steve L 13 7,860 12-22-2019, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Sandy Bottom
  [Tiara Coronet] 2900 Coronet Simrad Electronics wallyman424 3 2,364 09-14-2019, 11:28 AM
Last Post: wallyman424