Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atwood Water Heater on a 1999 35 Open
My boat is an out of town storage building. I need to replace the water heater, element burned out and since the water heater is 14 years old I am wondering if it is a good time to replace the unit vs. just purchase and install a new heating element. I have two questions, first is what size water heater would be in this boat? I will be on the boat in a couple of weeks but would like to either replace the unit or put the new element in at that time. Second at 14 years of age is it a good time to replace the water heater or would you just install a new element???

Thanks

Kent
Kent
1999 Tiara 35 Open, Cummins
Like Post Reply

Hi Kent...good luck with the new boat. I would not think twice about replacing a 14 yr old water heater. Replacing just the element would be throwing good money after bad in my opinion. In terms of size...there should be a plaque somewhere on the heater with the model number, serial number, capacity, etc. If you can't find it, I would call Tiara and give them your hull number and they should be able to tell you what Hot Water Heater was installed. Keep us posted on your progress.
Like Post Reply
My opinion is, if removal access to the water heater is easy, replace it. Otherwise do a quick fix and replace the element. For home heaters you can get stainless steel elements that last much longer but I never changed a boat unit. My heater is an '88 and still working without a leak but to replace it is a big job. The engines outboard elbow and exhaust hose has to come off first. But the tank is aluminum, not coated steel like a home heater so I guess that's why it's still going. Capt. George
Like Post Reply
Good morning Kent,

I have an '01 3500. The original spec sheet shows it as having a six gallon capacity.

Good luck.
Like Post Reply
Bluebikemike is correct, it is 6 gallons. I would replace the unit at that age. Good Luck!
Chris Burkard
[Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register]
Like Post Reply
On my 3700 Open, the water heater is outboard of the starboard engine, and removal requires removing the engine heat exchanger or, maybe, the cablemaster cable storage tub. I still have my original unit on the boat. It still works fine. I'll wait until it starts to leak before I remove it.
Tiara 3700 Open, Cummins 6cta/450s
\"Buoy Scout\"
Like Post Reply
On my 2000 3500 Open ( I would think they are identical to the 1999 model) the water heater is actually under the helm and access to it is behind the rear most cushion on the u shaped seating in the cabin. Remove cushion, remove rather large access panel and there are the fresh water pumps, battery charger and hot water heater. I would only assume the hot water heater can fit through the opening as I have need measure mine but at least when replacing you can be inside the air conditioning. Let us know how replacement works and if HW tanks comes out the access hole.
Tom
Like Post Reply
Thanks to all for great input. If I am able to remove the hot water heater a new one will go in. If it is in a position that it involves a lot of work to remove a new element will go in.

Will post what I find. Good luck to all this boating season!
Kent
Kent
Like Post Reply
Simple solution to water heater, on the back of it there is a reset button.  I pushed it in and we were up and running again.  Just wanted to let others know in case they have a similar problem.  Good news is I have  a new element ready to install if and when needed.

Kent
Kent
Like Post Reply
(04-06-2016, 11:01 AM)torchlake99 Wrote: Simple solution to water heater, on the back of it there is a reset button.  I pushed it in and we were up and running again.  Just wanted to let others know in case they have a similar problem.  Good news is I have  a new element ready to install if and when needed.

Kent, I have the same issue with my HW heater in my '99, I am getting ready to replace mine as I am getting sick of constantly hitting the reset button. I previously had the element replaced (which was a pain according to my marina as the element goes in on right side where there is little clearance), then it failed but worked after hitting reset button. Now if I don't turn it off on the panel after it heats up, the breaker on the unit trips and needs to be reset. I think you might find that your need to reset it will get more and more frequent as the thermostat is likely the issue. The unit is still made (it is an Atwood 6 gal. with heat exchanger) and is only about $250.00, once I tackle the job I will post as to any difficulties.
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New AC install on 1985 3100 open CaptChris2334 1 1,125 03-30-2024, 01:25 PM
Last Post: jtomlin@hurricanetv.com
  2018 38LS Black water tank location Scottbee 1 451 03-11-2024, 10:27 PM
Last Post: Scottbee
  41 Open AC water pump vapor lock esf 3 527 08-07-2023, 04:07 PM
Last Post: esf
  1993 4300 open waste and water level indicators bpro 1 1,910 08-07-2023, 08:31 AM
Last Post: esf
  Hot Water Heater for Tiara 2700 stanfarbman 0 434 06-07-2023, 11:15 PM
Last Post: stanfarbman