Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Streaming TV, is satellite the only way or do you have any other methods
I was looking into a tv service for our 3800 Open. I know they satellite is popular but didnt know if streaming from a ipad or using a smart tv with netflix is possible while on a mooring. We dont plan on watching it all the time but being able to catch some motogp or f1 would be great.
Thanks
Like Post Reply

I've added a network that extends Internet access from remote WiFi hot spots that are available in many marinas. In my home slip I use a Optimum hot spot to my onboard network. Purchased a WiFi CampPro 2 system that contains a 9db gain WIFI antenna that connects to a wireless router on board the boat.. Have 1 smart TV and a second that I purchased a Roku device for... All works great in my slip and at any marina that has WIFI. Here's a link to the unit I purchased and have had it for 1 full season and it has done everything we wanted, Netflix, and most other stations we watch. Believe we have around 42 channels and many of the pay channels as well (netflix, Showtime, Hula, etc).... Also can use laptops, Ipads, etc as it's a regular WIFI connection..

[Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register]

Not sure if you are close enough to a hot spot as I believe you are on a mooring... M2C
Like Post Reply
If you have an iPad or iPhone with a data plan and have service, you can connect it via an lightning adapter and HDMI cable to a TV and display what ever is on your screen. Likewise with a Google Chromecast for Android based devices. If you can stream your cable thru your phone, or access TV channels via their apps and log in with your cable login, that would work too.

I'm starting to look into an HD antenna for my radar arch for local channels as well....

Last resort will be getting a portable antenna from my satellite provider.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Like Post Reply
Thanks for the replies, i do have unlimited data on my ipad and iphone, the boat i purchased has some hotspot program on it, im not sure if it still works but i will post the service. I am going to install two smart tv's
Like Post Reply
If you do go the iPad, or iPhone route and buy the lightning adapter, make sure you get one that supports HD. The cheap ones only support lower resolutions and can cause an issue if the broadcast is in 1080p.

Like Post Reply
(09-14-2020, 02:23 PM)Misdirection Wrote: If you do go the iPad, or iPhone route and buy the lightning adapter, make sure you get one that supports HD.  The cheap ones only support lower resolutions and can cause an issue if the broadcast is in 1080p.

thank you
Like Post Reply
On my 2002 38 Open, I installed 2 flatscreen TVs, stateroom and salon. I also installed a Roku stick into the usb outlets on both TV's. While in port I log on to the Marina Wi Fi and stream via the Roku stick, no hardwire connections required ie firewire etc, this works well unless full marina and big usage of wifi, then can lag a bit from time to time. During these times and when on the hook where I have cell service I use my hot spot feature on my cell phone and stream via cell service (I have AT&T unlimited), usually the mobile hotspot delivers better service then the basic wifi at the marina. My boat neighbor also operates this way but instead purchased a smart TV which was Wi Fi ready.
Like Post Reply