Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shore Water Hookup Leaking Into Hull
I haven't hooked the boat to shore water supply until recently at a slip. I notice the bilge pump come on a few times & thought that was strange since I usually don't have much water in the bilge. After the weekend, I noticed the boat listing to the side where the water hookup is. I'm thinking there must be a leak in the water line somewhere and the water is built up & only coming out slowly. Wondering if this has happened to anyone else?

I'm guessing the water will continue to leak out of where it's trapped, eventually but, I have to pull the boat out of the water next weekend. I guess I should plug a solar panel into the system to keep the batteries charged so the bilge pump can continue to pump out the water? Any thoughts on this?
Like Post Reply

Do you have a similar problem when the fresh water pumps are on? Does the fresh water pumps come on for a few seconds every once in a while even if no one is using a faucet?... Had a problem last year when the fresh water was hooked up to shore water only. Turned out the water inlet regulator was leaking on the back of the regulator (dripping) when hooked up to dockside water only...  When running the fresh water pumps for water there was no leak.. I'm guessing your fresh water supply fixture/pressure regulator is leaking on the rear. I attached a link to the what I believe is defective. M2C

[Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register]
[-] The following 1 user Likes ReelMagic's post:
Misdirection (11-02-2020)
Like Post Reply
A simple way to test if you have a leak is to buy a blowout plug and connect an air compressor at 20 psi to your water inlet. Close all of your faucet's and let it sit there for a bit. If the psi's on the compressor go down, you have a leak. And that blowout plug is useful when winterizing your boat. But I agree with the inlet regulator being suspect.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Like Post Reply
Thanks for the helpful reply, I will give this a try.
Like Post Reply
At the risk of stating the obvious make sure the dockside water is turned off while away from boat. A small leak can turn into a big leak and in the case of city water pressure, quickly overwhelm a bilge pump.

FWIW I had similar symptoms that turned out to be the connection between regulator and FW system/plumbing. FW pump didn't generate enough pressure to cause it to leak but when on dockside water it sprayed pretty good. Now I use an automatic regulator that needs to be reset every 200 gallons. If I break a hose in the boat that is the limit to how much water can enter.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jclark003's post:
reeltimebrad (12-21-2020)
Like Post Reply
(11-02-2020, 09:52 PM)jclark003 Wrote: At the risk of stating the obvious make sure the dockside water is turned off while away from boat. A small leak can turn into a big leak and in the case of city water pressure, quickly overwhelm a bilge pump.

FWIW I had similar symptoms that turned out to be the connection between regulator and FW system/plumbing. FW pump didn't generate enough pressure to cause it to leak but when on dockside water it sprayed pretty good. Now I use an automatic regulator that needs to be reset every 200 gallons. If I break a hose in the boat that is the limit to how much water can enter.

(11-02-2020, 09:52 PM)jclark003 Wrote: At the risk of stating the obvious make sure the dockside water is turned off while away from boat. A small leak can turn into a big leak and in the case of city water pressure, quickly overwhelm a bilge pump.

Thanks for the idea of the automatic regulator, could you tell me who makes it?
Like Post Reply
Go to Amazon and search for water timer. I would recommend a dial, not digital timer. they allow you to set how much water flows before shutting off. I set mine at 200 and reset it every weekend.
Like Post Reply
(11-09-2020, 09:57 PM)jclark003 Wrote: Go to Amazon and search for water timer. I would recommend a dial, not digital timer. they allow you to set how much water flows before shutting off. I set mine at 200 and reset it every weekend.

OK, will do. Thanks for the reply!
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2018 38LS Black water tank location Scottbee 1 406 03-11-2024, 10:27 PM
Last Post: Scottbee
  41 Open AC water pump vapor lock esf 3 506 08-07-2023, 04:07 PM
Last Post: esf
  1993 4300 open waste and water level indicators bpro 1 1,896 08-07-2023, 08:31 AM
Last Post: esf
  Hot Water Heater for Tiara 2700 stanfarbman 0 424 06-07-2023, 11:15 PM
Last Post: stanfarbman
  39 Coronet water pressure issue d5dekeyser 2 1,351 08-02-2022, 05:50 PM
Last Post: MC1600