Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to tell fuel pump needs attn? Cost?
Dear Sages

Trusted mechanic was onboard recently for coolant sensor issue, repaired. Recommended work on port fuel pump. The thing is, I don't notice anything unusual. He said he saw some tells. Wondering your experience with this and pricing. Proposal here: Engine/Trans Hrs P/SCummins 6CTA 8.3L

item Description Qty Rate Amount
LABOR -Labor to Remove & 1 1,500.00 1,500.00
Reinstall Port engine
Injection Pump and all 6
injectors and Take to
Injection Shop for
Service.
-Sea trial vessel after
service is finished
PARTS COST FOR BASIC REBUILD, 1 2,500.00 2,500.00T
FLOW TEST, AND TUNE OF
INJECTION PUMP

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

PS proposal continued, sorry:

PRICE TO REBULD AND FLOW 6 165.00 990.00T
TEST EACH INJECTOR

Like Post Reply

If you don't get an answer here post over on boatdiesel.com. A lot of good/professional mechanics with a wealth of experience. Price doesn't sound crazy but not sure what is driving the need for an injection pump. May need to ask you mechanic to be more specific.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jclark003's post:
robin.joshua (01-30-2021)
Like Post Reply
He may have noticed some fuel under it in a valley or something like that. I had an injector pump going out on my 41 with 3208 Cats. There was a small amount of fuel sitting under it, nothing more than a drip or two but it was starting to leak. It's best to catch things like that prior to big problems cropping up. If the pump starts leaking and looses some pressure it will effect the injectors as well. They require a certain amount of pressure to work correctly or they start destroying themselves internally.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sans Peur's post:
robin.joshua (01-30-2021)
Like Post Reply
Those costs seem high to me. I was quoted $900 for full rebuild for the injection pump for my cat 3208's with about $500 in labor. A new pump is about $3k from Cummins.
Like Post Reply
(04-29-2021, 03:29 PM)August Rush Wrote: Those costs seem high to me. I was quoted $900 for full rebuild for the injection pump for my cat 3208's with about $500 in labor. A new pump is about $3k from Cummins.
In what geo area are you located? $900 is shockingly low and so I wonder if we are apples to apples; after much research I determined that the pricing I received was normal here in S. Fl.

Also FWIW in my education on this subject I learned that I had old version injectors (apart from the pump issue), so instead of servicing those outdateds, I upgraded to the new injectors.

Engines are running A+ and sound even more awesome too.

Like Post Reply
Ask him to explain and if no good reason emerges, let it go. As to a fuel leak, I had fuel weeping from the injection pump of my Kubota generator. A few $8 orings and I’ve fixed it. The injection pump doesn’t need a rebuild unless you are having performance problems. Even then, there are many things to check first. If you get more info post back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Tiara Sovran] Anyone cleaned fuel vent flush mount Donaldjames 0 398 05-09-2023, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Donaldjames
  2009 Sovran IPS Drive Hydralic Pump Problems Opus 2 2,498 09-24-2022, 03:00 AM
Last Post: jgreenlee
  [Tiara Open] water in fuel alarm lesliepawlak@yahoo.com 2 971 08-11-2022, 06:25 PM
Last Post: lesliepawlak@yahoo.com
  Generator fuel supply and unnecessary auto-off robin.joshua 2 1,005 05-14-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: Sans Peur
  Diesel fuel tank level during winter storage jhhall 3 2,159 05-09-2021, 09:03 AM
Last Post: abyss