Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
confused
We are looking at Tiaras but I am utterly confused by the model designations. There is the convertible, there is the Sovran, then the open, then the convertible with hardtop(!), the express, the mid-cabin express and I'm sure there are a couple others.  Can anyone sort this out for me? 

Thanx.
Like Post Reply

And don't forget the Sovran!
But seriously, decide what you want for a configuration first. Full hard top with a full windshield, or partial glass. Open rear deck for fishing like an Open or more seating like an Express, which become a Sovran.
Model names changed over the years. Also look for mid year changes. My 06 4400 Sovran was actually renamed to a 4700 Sovran late that same year!
Good luck!
Like Post Reply
O.P. I feel your pain.....we have been searching for a new boat for months and keep coming back to Tiaras and actually have a 3500 Open under contract at the moment. There are large and subtle differences to all of the models both above and below deck. The biggest difference for the year/budget we found was the Express vs. the Open. The express, like Gmahanna said, is geared more towards seating and entertaining above deck with more built in seating in the cockpit area where the Open has more of an "open" cockpit with room for fishing. We went with the Open over the Express even though we don't do much, if any fishing, simply because I liked the look of the Open hull better (it has the gunwale sweep from helm to cockpit which I think gives it a beautiful side profile vs. the Express with has a pretty level gunwale from front to back with steps down leading to the swim platform. The open we chose still has a lot of seating in the cockpit and where its so open, gives us all sorts of options for deck chairs and such. I really wanted a hard top but for the boats in our age/budget there aren't many with them.....we did consider a Sovran because I really like the hard top and fully enclosed helm, but those MOSTLY only come withe the Volvo diesels and the pod drives which ultimately are a lot more maintenance BUT they do offer more cabin room for an aft lounge/berth setup.
The more you look, the more you'll find the differences and it will hopefully become clear which model you are drawn to.
Good luck in your search, from all of the research I've done, you wont' be disappointed with ANY Tiara!
Like Post Reply
(02-14-2021, 10:23 PM)rjr Wrote: We are looking at Tiaras but I am utterly confused by the model designations. There is the convertible, there is the Sovran, then the open, then the convertible with hardtop(!), the express, the mid-cabin express and I'm sure there are a couple others.  Can anyone sort this out for me? 

If you give us an idea of where and how you intend to use the boat (normal activities/how many people would be cruising with you regularly) as well as approximate budget, the site members here may be able to help steer you in the right direction.

Max
Like Post Reply
Max: I will put some info together and post it.

Thanx
Like Post Reply
Max: I'm sure we're pretty typical. Weekending on board, local overnight cruises and depending on covid issues this summer, two or more week long (or more) cruises. Maybe we'll get over to your neck of the woods. If Ontario opens up, we'll be heading there too. We berth on Lake St. Clair. We usually have another couple join us, sometimes two.

Budget is around 250K. I really like the Sovran but don't know if I can find one in the budget. No problem with diesels, our current boat has them. I am a little apprehensive about the pods. Size-wise we are looking at 38 to 42.

Going out to buy a lottery ticket.
Like Post Reply
We owned a 39 Sovran prior to our 42 Open. I would look and see if you can get a 44/47 Sovran in or close to your price range. The layout would accommodate the occasional guest, shaft drives and it's actually a fairly good sea boat especially when compared to other Sovrans/boats in its class. While we loved the boat and thankfully never had any major IPS failure, given our somewhat rigid schedules and desire to use the boat as much as possible, we were looking for something that can run fast in relatively heavy weather... something the 39 Sovran didn't do exceptionally well. The 44/47 was on our short list before we found the 42 Open. Everything is a compromise... we definitely gave up some livability by going with a more fishing style boat, however gained a few kts and can maybe run 8 out of 10 days that we've wanted to as opposed to 6.5-7/10.

Max
Like Post Reply
Max: TY for info. Need to clarify: Does the 44/47 Sovran have propshafts as opposed to pods?
Like Post Reply
(02-24-2021, 10:44 PM)rjr Wrote: Max: TY for info. Need to clarify: Does the 44/47 Sovran have propshafts as opposed to pods?

Yes, as far as I know.
Like Post Reply