Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
38 Open Helm tilt
Hi All,
I suspect the amp on my (new to me) 2004 38 is located behind the helm, as I can't seem to find it anywhere else. I remember reading about the correct procedure to tilt the helm back, but I totally forgot the steps. Boat is a plan B layout so if someone could save me the trouble of searching for the amp it would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance...
Like Post Reply

Tilting the Helm station is relatively easy. Place the shift controls in reverse, grasp the throttles (in idle position) and shift handles and pull. It requires quite a bit of force to release the rubber hold downs. Do NOT pull on the steering wheel as you may damage it...That's the way I was told and have done it for 10+ years... Sounds funny but it works.... Not sure what "amp' your looking for but the stereo amp on my 38 Open, plan "A" is located behind the shore power selector/generator(Start stop)/meter panel on the bulkhead that separates the salon and the master stateroom (starboard side). Think your amp is also behind the same panel.  Remove several screws and the panel will hinge open....M2C
Like Post Reply
(04-01-2021, 06:04 AM)ReelMagic Wrote: Tilting the Helm station is relatively easy. Place the shift controls in reverse, grasp the throttles (in idle position) and shift handles and pull. It requires quite a bit of force to release the rubber hold downs. Do NOT pull on the steering wheel as you may damage it...That's the way I was told and have done it for 10+ years... Sounds funny but it works.... Not sure what "amp' your looking for but the stereo amp on my 38 Open, plan "A" is located behind the shore power selector/generator(Start stop)/meter panel on the bulkhead that separates the salon and the master stateroom (starboard side). Think your amp is also behind the same panel.  Remove several screws and the panel will hinge open....M2C

Thank you. It seems like the electrical panels in the plan "A" and "B" are in the same place, so I'll look there first. Good to know how to tilt the helm back as we plan on replacing electronics next winter. Again, I appreciate the detailed response.
Like Post Reply
(04-01-2021, 06:04 AM)ReelMagic Wrote: Tilting the Helm station is relatively easy. Place the shift controls in reverse, grasp the throttles (in idle position) and shift handles and pull. It requires quite a bit of force to release the rubber hold downs. Do NOT pull on the steering wheel as you may damage it...That's the way I was told and have done it for 10+ years... Sounds funny but it works.... Not sure what "amp' your looking for but the stereo amp on my 38 Open, plan "A" is located behind the shore power selector/generator(Start stop)/meter panel on the bulkhead that separates the salon and the master stateroom (starboard side). Think your amp is also behind the same panel.  Remove several screws and the panel will hinge open....M2C
Tried it out the other day. Getting the screw off and tilting it back was relatively easy. The wiring behind is a work of art, but getting the helm to sit back on the screws took us over an hour. Any tricks to get it back on?
Like Post Reply
Not sure what screws you are talking about as the helm hold downs, on the top of the helm itself, look like a rubber ball/socket mechanism.. The power panel has hinge that allows the panel to open once 2 screws are removed.....At least that's the way it is on my 38..
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  XM radio connection to stereo - 43 open bnr@dur-a-flex.com 2 689 06-19-2023, 12:13 PM
Last Post: bnr@dur-a-flex.com
  [Tiara Open] Autopilot pump location on 3500 Open? Crmenzel 2 547 06-07-2023, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Crmenzel
  [Tiara Open] 3200 Open Stereo Amp Location MichFan 12 7,751 05-25-2023, 07:28 PM
Last Post: Donaldjames
  Replacement Cockpit fridge on a 2000 4300 open bnr@dur-a-flex.com 2 1,096 08-23-2022, 08:35 AM
Last Post: bnr@dur-a-flex.com
  [Tiara Open] Tiara 3800 Open Transducer Replacement 38OpenMichigan 6 2,180 03-13-2022, 09:50 AM
Last Post: Sans Peur