Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dinghy Davit Install; 4000 Express
Getting ready to install a pair of the Nautley DinghyRamps to my 4000 Express.  Question becomes one of access to the underside/inside of the swim platform (there isn't any).

There is an old set of tracks for some chocks currently on the swim platform that will be coming off.  I'm pretty sure they're screwed in from the top (no evidence someone cut the swim platform at anytime).  Is that a smart option?

I figure the other three solutions would be:
- Cut access hatches in the underside of the swim platform and reglass when done (yuck!)
- Cut access hatches in the bulkhead between the stern and swim platform (lots of unknowns)
- Attach it from the top but use some sort of anchoring device that expands once through the initial hole (like hanging a mirror at home).

Any thoughts?  How have you guys done this before?
Like Post Reply

I just went through this on my 4000 express. I recently installed the Hurley H30 davit system. I had to go through the same level of planning. At first I thought to use toggle bolts but given the weight of the tender opted to use a holesaw to gain access to the underside of the platform above the waterline. I then used the piece of material that came out as a filler and essentially re-glassed it using west systems G4 two-part Epoxy.  The Apoxsee care times is actually what took the longest. Aside from that I’d say it was a fairly easy job. Some people put deck access plates on the top side and I’ve noticed that stress cracks form so I would strongly advise against that.

As far as the gelcoat I purchased the factory match gelcoat primer and Hardner needed to complete the repair. I still have 90% of it left and would be willing to sell it to you for a reduced price. From my perspective it’ll just go to waste it’s not something that I’ll need again. Feel free to private message me if you want to talk further about this project.

(06-08-2021, 12:08 PM)MC1600 Wrote: Getting ready to install a pair of the Nautley DinghyRamps to my 4000 Express.  Question becomes one of access to the underside/inside of the swim platform (there isn't any).

There is an old set of tracks for some chocks currently on the swim platform that will be coming off.  I'm pretty sure they're screwed in from the top (no evidence someone cut the swim platform at anytime).  Is that a smart option?

I figure the other three solutions would be:
- Cut access hatches in the underside of the swim platform and reglass when done (yuck!)
- Cut access hatches in the bulkhead between the stern and swim platform (lots of unknowns)
- Attach it from the top but use some sort of anchoring device that expands once through the initial hole (like hanging a mirror at home).

Any thoughts?  How have you guys done this before?
Like Post Reply
Thanks August, I’m realizing that might be an option. I find it hard to believe that everyone with one of these boats and a dinghy has had to go through airing and dicing the swim platform. Ugh…

This is not something I’m going to do myself and have decided to enlist the assistance of a yard. I’ll let them know how you did it. Thanks for the offer of the extra gelcoat. I already have the kit with the factory gelcoat, so will pass that along.
Like Post Reply
The other option is to lift the deck off the same way it was originally assembled.  Its basically held in place but the rub rail, screws and sealant.
Like Post Reply
(06-09-2021, 07:19 PM)August Rush Wrote: The other option is to lift the deck off the same way it was originally assembled.  Its basically held in place but the rub rail, screws and sealant.

Oooh! Didn’t know the top came off that simple. Might be a good option. Thanks!
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  4000 Express New Generator/Gen-Sep Install Jack Aperio 2 442 03-06-2024, 06:04 AM
Last Post: Sans Peur
  4000 Express Line Drawing MC1600 2 2,111 10-21-2023, 06:41 PM
Last Post: MC1600
  4000 Express: Helm Refurb emarrero 9 4,360 10-04-2023, 02:38 AM
Last Post: Davisjarrett
  Installing RIB on the back of a 40 Express August Rush 3 1,670 09-11-2023, 08:31 AM
Last Post: ZQubed
  4000 Express tender/davit install Jack Aperio 6 2,103 05-26-2023, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Jack Aperio