Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dark Red Sludge in aft bilge Area
I finally got around to removing the two aft storage areas on my 29 Tiara Coronet (I have become obsessed with cleaning the engine room and storage areas of my boat -- the boat is in great shape (2006 with 220 hours) but there was so much dirt and leaves (wtf) in the engine room);  

anyway, beneath the trim tab reservoir on the starboard side there was red sludge all over the bildge floor -- I can't imagine this is from a trim tab reservoir leak; is it possible that the fluid in the trim tab reservoir (which takes typical transmission fluid) would burp or otherwise spill out while running?  I suppose someone could have just overfilled the reservoir and spilled transmission fluid on the fluid (but it seems insane to me that someone would just let it sit there like that).  

Most important I want to make sure it is not something with my SeaStar hydraulic steering (which I doubt because the fluid at issue is a very dark red).
Like Post Reply

I would clean it all up and put a sorbet mat down and see if it comes back. Could have been an over-filled trim pump or from a past leak/ repair. Doubt it is the steering as you would have symptoms of air in system. Some sea star systems are filled with red atf but a lot are filled with sea star hydraulic fluid which is a semi-clear fluid.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jclark003's post:
MC1600 (06-23-2022)
Like Post Reply
Once upon a time i had the same issue. Turned out that the hose to the port trim tab has come loose at the through hull and only the 5200 was holding it in place. I had a friend move the tabs and low and behold the hydraulic fluid spurted through the 5200.

Dug it all out reconnected the tab hose and refilled the reservoir. problem solved.

Lesson check both ends of the system.
Like Post Reply
I would clean it us and see if it comes back. While you are there have someone run the tabs all the way down and when they deadhead watch to see if fluid sprays from.the fittings or along the line somewhere.

If not it could.be from filling it a long time back. Just a little goes a long way and stays forever.
Sans Peur 2003 Tiara 50 Open
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  50/53 Coupe and Fly Owners Group-Rain Water in Bilge Sapphire 3 277 02-11-2024, 09:53 AM
Last Post: hiccup
  [Tiara Open] Tiara 41 Open Water in forward bilge esf 4 692 08-02-2023, 08:59 PM
Last Post: Sans Peur
  [Tiara Sovran] Water in forward Bilge 52 Tiara Nick997 5 1,130 05-23-2023, 07:28 AM
Last Post: dbruce222@gmail.com
  [Tiara Open] diesel in bilge greenaub 4 879 03-10-2023, 09:20 AM
Last Post: greenaub
  Coronet 2900 - Water in forward bilge wham 4 1,182 10-20-2022, 03:58 PM
Last Post: Lobsta