Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tiara Open Fresh water tank is leaking
On my 92 4300 Open, the fresh water tank is leaking into the bilge.  Is there any way to repair the tank without removing it from the boat.  Removing it will requiring cutting out a section of the floor, and I would like to avoid that if possible
Like Post Reply

All of us w/freshwater tanks built with so little forethought as far as replacement feel your pain.

I don't have a solution for you, but I have considered this as I had a leak in a fitting that I thought briefly might be the tank.

I know they make epoxy kits that are designed to seal fuel tanks from the inside. My friend used this on a motorcycle a long time ago. You pour the epoxy in and rotate the tank around to coat the entire inside. Obviously, you can't do this with the freshwater tank. However, I wonder if you could cut a large access port on the top of the tank, completely dry the inside of the tank, and spray something similar to coat the inside of the tank. For what it's worth the motorcycle gas tank had several pin holes that had rusted through but after the coating it was leak free for as long as he owned the bike (at least 5 years).

I don't really think the above is a great idea but figured I would share because I'm not sure there is a great solution to this problem.
Like Post Reply
(09-13-2022, 11:05 AM)kphodgins Wrote: On my 92 4300 Open, the fresh water tank is leaking into the bilge.  Is there any way to repair the tank without removing it from the boat.  Removing it will requiring cutting out a section of the floor, and I would like to avoid that if possible

does it keep any water? or is the leak at the bottom? If so, then most likely is at a tank's corner. I have known people that have perform what I am about to explain with good success. Drain the entire tank, dry it somehow, maybe open a hole that you can cover it later? then add a quart of clear flex seal liquid clear.. Use a stick and brush to spread it around covering the corners... Let it cure for a week then fill it up! Water would have a chemical smell for the first use, after that you should be good.

Another option is to use a liner.
Like Post Reply
Those motorcycle fuel tank kits are T-R-A-S-H! Great in theory, but the moment one spot doesn’t stick, it’s game over.

I’ve seen so many freshwater/black water tank leak stories on this site, I live in fear of my tanks. I figure if I ever lost one, my plan would be to have it cut out in pieces then replace it with a soft-sided tank. I think that’s really about the only option.

But before you consider doing anything, I’d make 100% sure it’s the tank and not coming from a shower sump or something.
Like Post Reply
I own a 1986 Tiara 2700 Open with twin Crusader 270 inboards.  The 30 gal. aluminum fresh water tank would leak down in about 3 hours.  I keep the boat on a trailer at my shop.  The tank is located under the 2 90 gal. fuel tanks.  I didn’t want to drain and pull both tanks to be able to remove the water tank.  I did have access to the back end of the fresh water tank with the fill, vent and discharge ports. I used an endoscope to try to locate the leak, but could only determine that it was in the forward section of the bottom of the tank.  I flushed the tank and completely dried it with rags and compressed air.  I dropped the trailer tongue to the ground which gave a forward tilt to the tank.  I inserted a 3/4” hose thru the fill port and along the inside past the baffles to the front of the tank.  I poured about 8 oz of liquid Flex Seal down the hose.  After the hose emptied, I jacked up the starboard side for about 10 minutes, then the port side for about 10 minutes.  After that I removed the jacks and let it remain flat.

I let it sit for a day and a half then filled it with water.  No leak.  Since this tank is not used for potable water, the Flex Seal should present no problem.  I’ll see how it holds up this year and will update if it starts leaking again.  Thought this might come in handy if anyone had a similar problem.
Like Post Reply
Flex seal to the rescue! Love it. I don't think it'll last all that long but even if you have to re-do it every few years, it's a win.
Like Post Reply
I just discovered the same problem on my 35 2009 Sovran. Also looking for suggestions.
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  50/53 Coupe and Fly Owners Group-Rain Water in Bilge Sapphire 3 251 02-11-2024, 09:53 AM
Last Post: hiccup
  [Tiara Open] 1991 Tiara has no water flow. gybe24 1 381 09-06-2023, 06:36 PM
Last Post: Misdirection
  Where is Water Coming In? Newbie7749 3 755 08-07-2023, 10:07 AM
Last Post: Newbie7749
  [Tiara Open] Tiara 41 Open Water in forward bilge esf 4 668 08-02-2023, 08:59 PM
Last Post: Sans Peur
  water in bildge honest mark 12 2,790 07-22-2023, 11:32 AM
Last Post: honest mark