Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should I buy?
Going today to assess a 4000 express. Seller says it has two 3208’s. Starboard runs but the drive is stuck in forward. Port engine is locked up. I’ve seen YouTube videos of people “unlocking” 3208’s… but having researched the engine it doesn’t have sleeves… so if the cylinder is marred, it’s done. I’ll share photos and continue seeking advice ?? Hoping to live aboard and save up for a home. Renting apartments is terrible!
Like Post Reply

I can’t tell you whether you should by or not. But you’re correct that the 3208 is not sleeved. If you need to rebuild, the deck will have to be lifted off and engines removed. But if you just need a place to live and can tow it to a location, I could see the 4000 being a decent platform to do that in a pinch.
Like Post Reply
I would not suggest that you buy this boat if you are trying to save up for a house. These repairs are going to be complicated.
There might be some better alternatives.
What price is this boat?
Like Post Reply
@MC1600 Thanks for the reply, can the engines fit through the hydraulic maintenance hatch? He’s got a majority of the top end off the port engine… personally I’d like to inspect the main bearings.
@richard.janek The price is right around 20k, the owner is aware of my situation and asked if I’d be interested in helping him do the repairs. I’m hoping to learn more about the community in the process. Fourth owner, seems to really care about his equipment maintenance. The Genny he said is an Onan with a cat powerplant. It’s been pulled and is sitting on the aft deck wrapped in plastic. 9.6kw sound about right?
Like Post Reply
Honestly it sounds like a nightmare. $20k to buy, $100k to fix on the cheap, doing the work yourself.

This is the opposite of finding a way to save for a house!

I don't mean to sound cruel, this is based on many years of owning boats, the first of which I bought 'cheap' and paid the price for.

An old saying that rings very true to me: the most expensive boat you'll ever own is the one you are given for free. I realize this one isn't free, but the point is still there--a cheap boat is very expensive. Best of luck and if you do buy it, there are lots of resources out there to help your learning curve.
Like Post Reply
@hiccup I would be extremely inclined to agree with you… the annual maintenance costs, operating costs, and insurance are a nightmare alone not to mention finding a good marina community. My apartment here on the east Florida coast is costing me $1400/mo… as a 37 year old man with no assets, it’s absolutely an act of desperation. Just the idea of owning my living space is compelling me to look into the live aboard lifestyle. I will say my life experience has provided years of maritime service, electrical and mechanical skills, and now I’m becoming an aircraft mechanic and airman… slowly but surely. Current income dictates lowering expenses dramatically in the coming years. I am grateful for any and all input. The interior of the vessel is in excellent shape apart from some water intrusion that affected the wood floor panels in a few spots. Ideally the relationship with the owner will afford a learning experience regarding the restoration.
Like Post Reply
If someone tells you an Onan generator has a CAT engine, I’d question most everything else they say. An Onan is a Cummins product.

And no, those engines won’t fit through the hydraulic hatch unless there’s some sorcery involved.

If this was just a platform to live, I’d say “why not.” If you have any intention on actually making this a functional boat, they’d have to pay me $20k to get involved.
Like Post Reply
@mc1600 That was my mistake, he did say Cummins, my brain was just in Cat mode. There is something to be said about valuing one’s time, that’s for sure.
Like Post Reply