Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windshield Leak tip
It does happen. Over the years in the sun and water the caulk can shrink and allow water to enter. If you are having trouble finding the entry point have a friend watch the inside while you spray the outside with a hose. If the water is entering the center window new seals are in order. If you still have trouble finding the entry point, this is going to sound a little nutty and your marina mates are never going to let you live it down. Spray the outside of the windshields down with a heavy coating of thick dish soap. A garden sprayer works well for this. Now the nutty part. Take a leaf blower and direct the forced air around the the inside of the windshield. Where the bubbles form on the outside is where the water entry point is. After everyone has finished with the yard work comments in your cockpit, they will marvel at your genius and leaf blowers will pop up every weekend for a month or two.

Brian Kane
Customer Service Rep.

S2 Yachts, Zeelander 

725 E 40th St

Holland, MI  49423
Phone 616-394-7460

Like Post Reply

(12-10-2014, 08:26 AM)TIARACRREP Wrote: It does happen. Over the years in the sun and water the caulk can shrink and allow water to enter. If you are having trouble finding the entry point have a friend watch the inside while you spray the outside with a hose. If the water is entering the center window new seals are in order. If you still have trouble finding the entry point, this is going to sound a little nutty and your marina mates are never going to let you live it down. Spray the outside of the windshields down with a heavy coating of thick dish soap. A garden sprayer works well for this. Now the nutty part. Take a leaf blower and direct the forced air around the the inside of the windshield. Where the bubbles form on the outside is where the water entry point is. After everyone has finished with the yard work comments in your cockpit, they will marvel at your genius and leaf blowers will pop up every weekend for a month or two.

Brian Kane
Customer Service Rep.

S2 Yachts, Zeelander 

725 E 40th St

Holland, MI  49423
Phone 616-394-7460

I have a 2000 3500 and I know my center windshield (the one that tilts out) leaks. Obviously it is a seal issue. Where can I get the seals at? I have looked at various places and tried to use some type of seals I found but it never quite seals it perfectly and continues to leak. 
Tom
Like Post Reply
Brian

You need a weekly tips and tricks column or post! 

Between you and Capt. Chris B! I'm sure there about a million others out there.

Like Post Reply
Brian, Thanks for the tip. I do have a leak on the bottom of both sides of the opening middle windshield. I cleared each drain hole on the sides of the hatch. Water seems to pool in the space at the bottom of the opening (where the drain holes are)...

You mentioned that new seals are needed - can basic weatherstripping do the trick or is there an OEM seal that Tiara sells? It seems like there should be some sort of silicon seal that goes all the way around the opening to block water from the crack surrounding the opening...My 2900 is a 1997 so I'm not sure if something has disintegrated over the years...
[-] The following 1 user Likes gmoss001's post:
karibnsoul (06-11-2016)
Like Post Reply
We just bought a 1998 3500 Open and I'm having a similar problem, but at the top of the windshield frame. There are noticeable gaps in the frame. The window seals are fine, but the frame is leaking. I was thinking about taping one side, and trying to fill with silicon. From what I've heard this creates a mess. The problem is my helm electronics get wet when a wave comes over the windshield. Other than a full replacement, are there any suggestions?
Like Post Reply
(07-06-2015, 12:37 PM)fisher.setha Wrote: We just bought a 1998 3500 Open and I'm having a similar problem, but at the top of the windshield frame.  There are noticeable gaps in the frame.  The window seals are fine, but the frame is leaking.  I was thinking about taping one side, and trying to fill with silicon.  From what I've heard this creates a mess.  The problem is my helm electronics get wet when a wave comes over the windshield.  Other than a full replacement, are there any suggestions?

I need you email address, I will then send you all the information that Tiara sent me about how the windshield was put together, how to take apart and replace seals and the P/N for all the seals which Tiara told me are still available from them. PM me or post here and if anyone else wants it I will also send to you, just let me know. 
Tom
Like Post Reply
can you send to me too? How do i clear the drains?  i have a '94 31' tjfoley@gmail.com  my center leaks so when i wash the boat, it gets on my dash. the real problem is then it leaks down into the door frame which seeps down into my cabin. I can see teh drops on the underside of the door slider rail inside.

thx
Like Post Reply
(07-06-2015, 06:57 PM)trit21 Wrote:
(07-06-2015, 12:37 PM)fisher.setha Wrote: We just bought a 1998 3500 Open and I'm having a similar problem, but at the top of the windshield frame.  There are noticeable gaps in the frame.  The window seals are fine, but the frame is leaking.  I was thinking about taping one side, and trying to fill with silicon.  From what I've heard this creates a mess.  The problem is my helm electronics get wet when a wave comes over the windshield.  Other than a full replacement, are there any suggestions?

I need you email address, I will then send you all the information that Tiara sent me about how the windshield was put together, how to take apart and replace seals and the P/N for all the seals which Tiara told me are still available from them. PM me or post here and if anyone else wants it I will also send to you, just let me know. 
Can you please sent that info to me as well? My email address: jerzydziedzic@comcast.net
Thank you
Like Post Reply
While you're sending emails, I'd like a set of whatever you have also. My windshield has a leak (small, but I want to take care of it before it gets worse) on the starboard top side. 

My email is mgstair@aol.com. Thanks in advance!
--------------------------
Fiddlehead II ... 2002 Tiara 3500 Open, 8.1 Crusaders, Furuno TZT14 & TZT9

[Image: fiddleheadii-gloryshot.jpg]
Like Post Reply
Email send. All should have received the information that asked for it above. If not, let me know and I can resend. 
Tom
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2005- 3600 Open Center Windshield Wiper Motor Cover Replacement Tminus3 0 112 03-21-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: Tminus3
  [Tiara Open] 2018 43' open, trying to find make of windshield wipers that need replacing. charley's angel 3 179 02-21-2024, 01:12 PM
Last Post: ReelMagic
  Sovran windshield joint protectant Euphoria38 1 282 11-17-2023, 05:19 AM
Last Post: MC1600
  Center windshield still leaking brad 2 659 07-17-2023, 07:52 AM
Last Post: brad
  Windshield vent actuator Matta0413 6 2,135 07-06-2023, 03:06 PM
Last Post: Joeboch348