Tiara Yacht Owners Forum
prop nuts - Printable Version

+- Tiara Yacht Owners Forum (https://www.tiaraownersclub.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Tiara Yachts Discussion Forum (https://www.tiaraownersclub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General Repairs & Maintenance (https://www.tiaraownersclub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: prop nuts (/showthread.php?tid=2990)



prop nuts - Salt shaker - 05-19-2016

Hi, quick question on the order of the nuts.  I just put my wheels back on and noticed my 31 and my friends both have / had the smaller nut on first against the prop and the larger one aft.  But looking around the yard, all the other boats (sea rays silvertons luhrs) are opposite. with the heavier nut on first. so thats how i installed mine.  

Does it matter? I didn't know if Tiara did it this way for some reason or not. 

thx

[Image: 3573d04f3374f10e95b717ff2078778a.jpg]
How they were




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[Image: 951103256bd501daa293c704da9c7997.jpg]
Hard to see but how I put them back on



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


RE: prop nuts - bpro - 05-19-2016

Smaller nuts goes on first.

"Contrary to commonly held beliefs, when assembly is complete, the half-height nut should be against the propeller hub, having been installed first, while the full-height nut is farthest from the propeller hub, having been installed last. The logic for this seemingly counterintuitive approach goes like this: when the first nut is installed and torqued down, it carries all the load or tension. When the second nut is installed against the first nut and it is torqued, much of that load or tension is transferred to the second nut. Thus, it only stands to reason that the second nut (the one that carries the majority of the load), should engage more of the propeller shaft with more threads."


RE: prop nuts - Salt shaker - 05-19-2016

Interesting, thx! I guess i"ll change them before launching. I figured there was some reasoning. thx


RE: prop nuts - Uhehner - 05-20-2016

You are right about one thing, most installers put the large nut on first and that's wrong. Do some research on-line using Google and you will find what BPRO says.  Capt. george


RE: prop nuts - sammidog - 05-21-2016

Yep! What those guys said. Funny. I bet 80% at my club are on wrong

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk