Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
How to access Onan generator motor in 38 Open
#6
UPDATE: So, after a haul out and other work, I was finally able to focus my attention back on the generator raw water leak. I removed the fuel shutoff housing so I could access the sound shield on the right side of the generator. Then I was able to observe the heat exchanger and there was no obvious leaks in or out of it, though there was some corrosion and its probably a good idea to just replace it (genset has 1400 hours) since the anode plug appears to be original. Anyway, I was able to conclude that the raw water leak is after the heat exchanger, which means its either the hose clamp going into the SS exhaust tube or in the exhaust tube itself. I tried to reach the connection on the back side of the generator and feel around, but really couldn't figure much out. I looked at the diagram in the service manual, but still couldn't really figure out how its all attached.

ReelMagic, would you mind sharing the steps you took to remove the SS exhaust tube and reinstall the new one? I presume you had some small tools? I'm down here in the US Virgin Islands and there's not many folks around that could do any better than myself on this repair unless I cruise over to Puerto Rico. Any detailed advice would be so helpful; or perhaps I could persuade you for some more direct help with a plane ticket down and a fishing trip when we're done? :-) Thanks much!
Like Post Reply
  


Messages In This Thread
RE: How to access Onan generator motor in 38 Open - by CaptGregSTX - 12-20-2018, 07:00 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  38 open bathroom recessed light bulb twilson0929 3 489 08-26-2026, 06:22 AM
Last Post: twilson0929
  Replacement of Carbon Filter on vent line from Holding Tank. 38 Open ReelMagic 1 391 08-18-2026, 02:11 PM
Last Post: hiccup
Exclamation [Tiara Sovran] Sunroof motor location on ‘13 sovran 45? Tiara45 0 366 07-28-2026, 06:28 AM
Last Post: Tiara45
  2001 38’ Open interior table base removal twilson0929 3 765 07-07-2026, 08:13 AM
Last Post: hiccup
  1996 33Tiara open - shaft seal lubricant leaking Mydiamond 4 1,403 05-22-2026, 06:41 PM
Last Post: Mydiamond



Users browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

How to access Onan generator motor in 38 Open00