Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
How to access Onan generator motor in 38 Open
#11
Update on my leak generator situation...removing the top sound shield cover was the breakthrough I needed to get a look at the exhaust pipe, rubber elbow, and SS tube. It wasn't easy to remove. There is almost no clearance above the cover to lift the hinges that lock it to the read sound shield panel. I was able to wedge the right side of the shield forward enough to lift the hinge, but no luck with the left side...after a lot of pondering, I decided to sacrifice the hinge and pulled the rivets out. Next came the screws on the left that connected the top shield to the left side of the generator where the control box sits. Those screws were incredibly tight...PB blaster overnight didn't help much. Finally able to remove 5 of 8 with as much torque as I had in my wrists, 2 of the remaining 3 had to be drilled out and the last one (located in the far back corner) really tested my patience. Finally got a Dremel tool back there and cut off the head of the screw. So, with the top panel removed, I could stick my head back in there and get a look at the connections. I fired up the genset and felt along the hose connections, then down the SS pipe. That's when I felt the pinhole leak. So I removed everything and (incidentally) noticed that I broke one of the connectors to the hi temp cut out switch, which is not a cheap or easy part to replace. I think I was successful in epoxying the switch back together and tested it with a lighter...works (but I think I will buy a new one anyway). I got the SS pipe home, cleaned it up and looked for the pinhole leak, but couldn't find it; so I tried adding a little pressure though I really didn't do a proper test and still had no luck. I found a replacement kit at greatlakesskipper for about $90 (plus $40 to ship Priority Mail), so I'm hoping it gets here by the end of the week. This project has allowed me to clean up the sound shield panels, they were a complete mess with fragments of black foam falling everywhere, and install new sound dampening material. Wow, this has been quite the job...posting my experience in case someone like me comes along down the road with leaky Onan MDKAL. Thanks again ReelMagic, I would not have had the confidence in making it through this project without your guidance.
Like Post Reply

  


Messages In This Thread
RE: How to access Onan generator motor in 38 Open - by CaptGregSTX - 12-24-2018, 01:35 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  38 open bathroom recessed light bulb twilson0929 3 489 08-26-2026, 06:22 AM
Last Post: twilson0929
  Replacement of Carbon Filter on vent line from Holding Tank. 38 Open ReelMagic 1 391 08-18-2026, 02:11 PM
Last Post: hiccup
Exclamation [Tiara Sovran] Sunroof motor location on ‘13 sovran 45? Tiara45 0 366 07-28-2026, 06:28 AM
Last Post: Tiara45
  2001 38’ Open interior table base removal twilson0929 3 765 07-07-2026, 08:13 AM
Last Post: hiccup
  1996 33Tiara open - shaft seal lubricant leaking Mydiamond 4 1,403 05-22-2026, 06:41 PM
Last Post: Mydiamond



Users browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

How to access Onan generator motor in 38 Open00