01-05-2015, 04:23 PM
(01-04-2015, 10:55 AM)The Kook Abides Wrote: Happy New Year everyone!
It is time to replace both sets of batteries in my 2006 Tiara 30 Open with Cummins diesels.
I am located in Dana Point, Ca. and would like to find the best option for the house set and the engine set of batteries. (2 on each side)
I have been told Trojan makes a good battery? Do I need a starting battery set on the starboard side and a deep cycle set on the port side for the house?
I believe that is how the system is arranged with the port side also starting the Onan generator. There are Deka Marine Master dual purpose batteries in the boat now. They lasted 4 years but I can't find the exact replacement in my area in Southern California.
Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.
No one has answered so I will put my $0.02 in. I would (and have on my 2000 3500 Open) replace all batteries with AGM. For 1) no need to fill with water 2) will not boil off water and cause caustic fumes to be present in the ER. Still can't believe that wet cell batteries are put in an ER. I guess they are 'vented' due to engine intake air but not very well. I had 2 instances where wet cell batteries were in almost run away mode when the charger would just try and charge a bad battery and they would boil off the water and heat up so much you could hardly touch them. I have replaced all my batts with Sears Diehard Marine AGM's, which are made by Odyssey. They are a real good battery but kind of pricey. But worth the money IMO. I don't know anything about Deka (no experience I should say) but my AGM's crack up my Cummins 6BTA without a problem and I have had them for I think 5-6 yrs now. NO maintenance, no water, no fumes but again, kinda pricey. My charger is original to my boat and I called Charles to purchase a new one from them. He informed me that my charger would work fine with this type of AGM, not all, but the Odyssey (Sears marine) were fine with my charger.


![[-]](https://www.tiaraownersclub.com/forum/images/netpen-pro/collapse.png)