Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tiara Sovran Holding tank smell
Gauge has no lights (manual says that means it is between empty and half full) and barely used the head this season so have to believe it is right, but getting urine smell from bilge (gross but accurate) . Still finding my way around the new-to-us vessel. Anyone have suggestions before mechanic show up tomorrow and gets into head work? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Like Post Reply

If the waste tank was ever overflowed to the point liquid came out the overflow then the filter in the vent line must be replaced. Have seen/heard this problem more than once..... Key is to make sure you don't ever let the holding tank get to full..... I empty every weekend regardless of use. M2C Good luck....
Like Post Reply
(05-05-2017, 04:50 PM)ReelMagic Wrote: If the waste tank was ever overflowed to the point liquid came out the overflow then the filter in the vent line must be replaced. Have seen/heard this problem more than once..... Key is to make sure you don't ever let the holding tank get to full..... I empty every weekend regardless of use. M2C Good luck....

Thanks very much. Will try that

Like Post Reply
I would also check the vent itself. The screen corrodes and prevents the gas from escaping. You can remove the screen with a dental pick. It's only required on the fuel tank lines. But then you still have to check it for insect nests.
I once had a strong urine smell in my boat too. Found out it was a rat living in the bilge ( remember the old saying, you can smell a rat ).
I assume you flush with fresh water. Salt water flushes present additional problems. I always add the green holding tank liquid from West Marine or Walmart after using the head. It seems to work quite well.
Capt. George
Like Post Reply
(05-07-2017, 07:01 AM)Uhehner Wrote: I would also check the vent itself. The screen corrodes and prevents the gas from escaping. You can remove the screen with a dental pick. It's only required on the fuel tank lines. But then you still have to check it for insect nests.
I once had a strong urine smell in my boat too. Found out it was a rat living in the bilge ( remember the old saying, you can smell a rat ).
I assume you flush with fresh water. Salt water flushes present additional problems. I always add the green holding tank liquid from West Marine or Walmart after using the head. It seems to work quite well.
Capt. George

Thank you for your reply. We are in Michigan w fresh water. The gauge is working and tank not even close to full. It is Hard to get to the holding tank/ filter but mechanic thinks bilge just needs to be cleaned from non use. Suggested I Pour a few gallons of dawn soapy hot fresh water. Might have done the trick. If not, I'm going to dig into filter next

Like Post Reply
(05-05-2017, 04:20 PM)holiday3900 Wrote: Gauge has no lights (manual says that means it is between empty and half full) and barely used the head this season so have to believe it is right, but getting urine smell from bilge (gross but accurate) .   Still finding my way around the new-to-us vessel.   Anyone have suggestions before mechanic show up tomorrow and gets into head work?  Thanks.

Like Post Reply
My 1990 Tiara 3100 vent is clogged. I thinking of just cutting access hole to remove old vent and install new hose and vent.
I will order new vent from Tiara.
Dental pick sounds good, will it take off the vent cover for servicing?
Like Post Reply
Try adding Zaal Noflex Digestor once a day for each day of use. I tried many product before an old crusty head guy recommended it to me a few years ago and not a hint of odor since.
Like Post Reply
I just had a similiar situation with my boat.  I pumped out the tank and then added about 5 gallons of fresh water, then pumped it out again. Did this twice, Next added a gallon of water thru the toilet then the sealand tank treatment , smell is gone.
Like Post Reply
I recommend Zaal Noflex Digestor once a day for each day of use. I just tried it and it does every thing it claims. A little pricey but worth the cost and way more effective than Aqua Kem or TST. You can find it on Amazon.
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Seacock valve for holding tank pbud 3 1,296 08-24-2017, 02:05 PM
Last Post: Uhehner
  holding tank odor from AC unit rstorch66 0 667 08-08-2017, 11:08 AM
Last Post: rstorch66
  Holding tank leaking dbruce222@gmail.com 3 1,009 07-17-2017, 08:49 AM
Last Post: dbruce222@gmail.com
  3800 holding tank vent filter? greylion 4 891 05-21-2017, 06:21 PM
Last Post: ReelMagic
  holding tank vent filter Whefour 4 1,060 02-11-2017, 07:32 PM