Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Installing New Helm Switch - Where to get power?
I'm looking to install LED spreader lights on my 2002 3100 Open that I've mounted on the radar arch and already have run wires from the radar arch to behind the helm. However, now that I have the wires behind the helm, I can't figure out where to connect to get power. Is there a block behind the helm that I can connect to or do I have to run a line all the way directly to the batteries? Ideally, I'd like the spreader lights to run off the same source as the rest of my cabin-batteries equipment.

Where behind the helm is the best place to connect to power for new equipment or is it just best to try and run directly off the battery?

Thanks for any info you can provide!
Like Post Reply

Pull 12v from the breaker panel at the base of the helm. Tiara usually leaves an "aux" or unused breaker for such a purpose. If not it's usually ok to share a breaker as long as the total load doesn't exceed the breaker capacity. Make sure you pull from the breaker side and not the hot side (hot usually has a common red feed wire across multiple breakers). There should be a ground bus bar back there as well.

If you need to pull a circuit from the battery bank make sure it is fused and pull it from the house disconnect switch, not directly from the battery bank.

Good luck
[-] The following 2 users Like jclark003's post:
dsendre (12-21-2017), trit21 (12-21-2017)
Like Post Reply
(12-20-2017, 09:53 PM)jclark003 Wrote: Pull 12v from the breaker panel at the base of the helm. Tiara usually leaves an "aux" or unused breaker for such a purpose. If not it's usually ok to share a breaker as long as the total load doesn't exceed the breaker capacity. Make sure you pull from the breaker side and not the hot side (hot usually has a common red feed wire across multiple breakers). There should be a ground bus bar back there as well.

If you need to pull a circuit from the battery bank make sure it is fused and pull it from the house disconnect switch, not directly from the battery bank.

Good luck

Perfect. Thanks!!!
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nav/anchor Light Switch Joeboch348 3 910 02-05-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: cp4000
  Fridge and freezer isotherm combo only work with shore power or genset Toyoda 2 1,472 07-26-2023, 03:55 PM
Last Post: Sapphire
  No power to dash Mydiamond 5 1,689 05-07-2023, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Mydiamond
  [Tiara Open] Engine Room Switch GeoDoc 8 1,752 11-05-2022, 08:49 PM
Last Post: GeoDoc
  [Tiara Open] helm breaker trips? justrollin 3 1,141 08-24-2022, 01:11 PM
Last Post: prescottsmith100