Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lifting an Onan 9kw
Per another post I made, I'm going to add some Soundown mounts under the plywood my generator currently sits on.  While I'm at it, I'm going swap out the rubber on the actual mounts from Onan as well.  To do all of this, I obviously need to lift the generator a few inches.  At only 450lbs, it's not too heavy a load, but am struggling with envisioning the engineering of how to get a come-along down there and mounted so I can lift this thing.

Anyone have some easy solutions?  It's a '99 4000 Express with the generator all the way forward in between the mains.  I thought about maybe fabbing some sort of lifting tri-pod out of 2x4's over the gen?
Like Post Reply

Does it have a soft top or hardtop and is it in the water? I ask because we had a member at our club use our travel lift for something similar. Pull into the well, take the canvas off, drive the travel lift into the well and rig a chain down to the lift points instead of the straps. Just an idea...

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Like Post Reply
Oh my goodness, I was just hoping for about 6” and the ability to do it myself. I’m not trying to pull it entirely. Just get it high enough to change the rubber on the mounts and install some Soundown mounts between the Gen and the deck.
Like Post Reply
You may be able to do one corner at a time. I would try shimming the plywood and getting a pry bar under it. I would think something similar to take the weight off the engine mounts. If you can get a pipe or bar on the top lifting ring, you might get enough leverage to roll the engine to one side.

Good luck and hope you get it worked out. The 9kw is a 3600 RPM unit and they do make a ton of noise.
Like Post Reply
Please document when you do it...be helpful for others.

I would think a chain fall and a sturdy bar across the opening of the day hatch would work.  Although that might kick if forward a bit.  Are you planning to disconnect all the wiring and fuel/cooling or are you just want to pick it straight up?  

Also, are you trying to reduce noise?
Like Post Reply
As I got to the boat today and took another look, that might be the way to go (cross bar with a come-along). I am not planning on disconnecting everything. There definitely seems to be enough give to accommodate a few inches of lift.

Will definitely document how I proceed.
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Replace Onan/Kubota 21.5kW genset Jason Wissbrod 2 614 07-17-2023, 11:30 PM
Last Post: Jason Wissbrod
  Onan 9.6kw SaltySeaman 3 1,005 12-13-2022, 09:49 PM
Last Post: jclark003
  1999 Tiara Express / 9kw Onan Keolson321 4 2,415 03-14-2021, 12:55 PM
Last Post: emarrero
  [Tiara Open] 9 kw Onan Generator bruce33 0 1,809 06-25-2017, 06:17 AM
Last Post: bruce33