Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tiara Open Tiara 3800 Open Transducer Replacement
Hello,
I'm looking to upgrade the electronics on my 2004 38 open. Looking to use Garmin electronics and an OEM transducer. Wondering if I am able to reuse the holes for the old transducer, or if I should leave in the old transducer and find a new location. Curious if anyone has done the same job and could provide feedback.
Thank you,
Like Post Reply

What transducer is currently installed? Where is it on the boat? How did it perform? How are you intending to use the new sonar--just depth finding? fishing? If fishing, what type(s) and what depth(s)?
Like Post Reply
I have helped a friend remove his transducer and install another thru the same hole. The biggest issue was the original was installed with 3M 5200. So after a week of softening with penetrating oil, we used a 2x4 and a large hammer and were able to jar it free. But reusing the same hole worked perfectly fine.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Like Post Reply
(03-08-2022, 08:19 AM)hiccup Wrote: What transducer is currently installed?  Where is it on the boat?  How did it perform?  How are you intending to use the new sonar--just depth finding?  fishing?  If fishing, what type(s) and what depth(s)?
The current transducer is an Airmar which has waterspeed, sonar, and depth. It is located directly next to the starboard side stringer underneath the engine. I could not find the model number, I will have to look through the manual and see if it is included. Intending to use the new transducer for cruising and light fishing, but would like to have some a more capable transducer to future proof the boat. Don't see a need for the sideview however.

(03-08-2022, 09:32 AM)Misdirection Wrote: I have helped a friend remove his transducer and install another thru the same hole.  The biggest issue was the original was installed with 3M 5200.  So after a week of softening with penetrating oil, we used a 2x4 and a large hammer and were able to jar it free.  But reusing the same hole worked perfectly fine.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Sounds like an ordeal. Thanks for the insight.
Like Post Reply
Airmar transducers usually have an ID tag on the cable, about 1-2’ away from the sensor. That should give you the mounting specs. I would definitely try to reuse the same hole.
Like Post Reply
(03-08-2022, 09:37 PM)jclark003 Wrote: Airmar transducers usually have an ID tag on the cable, about 1-2’ away from the sensor. That should give you the mounting specs. I would definitely try to reuse the same hole.

Got it.
Thank you!
Like Post Reply
The fewer the holes the fewer available leaks.

Look at the one you have and see if it is decent for your needs. If it is good then reuse it. Garmin makes a junction block that allows you to cut the wires and make it plug and play.
Sans Peur 2003 Tiara 50 Open
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gauges for Tiara 2700 stanfarbman 2 1,887 09-12-2023, 08:25 PM
Last Post: stanfarbman
  2019 Tiara 34 LX stereo not working Bud Dieselman 0 603 06-27-2023, 11:23 AM
Last Post: Bud Dieselman
  XM radio connection to stereo - 43 open bnr@dur-a-flex.com 2 895 06-19-2023, 12:13 PM
Last Post: bnr@dur-a-flex.com
  [Tiara Open] Autopilot pump location on 3500 Open? Crmenzel 2 691 06-07-2023, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Crmenzel
  [Tiara Open] 3200 Open Stereo Amp Location MichFan 12 8,517 05-25-2023, 07:28 PM
Last Post: Donaldjames