Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Garmin electronics for 38 Open
(02-24-2017, 10:02 AM)Silver Rush Wrote: I have the Garmin AP with smart pump on my 96 31 open and it will not hold in 4'+ seas trolling one motor and a sea bag.  I think I need to re run the wizard, while running one motor and a bag when doing the slow learn function and then run both motors a running speed on the fast learn. by chance do you know the numbers in you AP for slow and fast gain and anti-gain? 

(10-03-2015, 01:23 PM)greylion Wrote:
(04-10-2015, 08:35 AM)Fiddlehead Wrote: Looking good!

Interested to hear how you like the Garmins.  Heard lots of good things about them.  Went with Furuno myself, but only because I have a great dealer close by.  Congrats on the new gear!

Now that I have used these new electronics for a full season I have some thoughts. For the first couple of months, Garmin kept issuing new software upgrades that added some new features, but it screwed up other features, like blinking depths and a confused autopilot. It was frustrating, but their last 2 updates in July and September have fixed everything. No issues anymore and the ease of use of this Garmin equipment is awesome.

I installed a Garmin Reactor autopilot with smart pump. My last Raymarine autopilot would not hold a heading with one engine trolling at salmon speeds, approximately 2 mph, but this new autopilot has been fantastic, no problems holding a heading at 2 mph and I really like the zig zag feature when trolling out deep with a straight line troll because turns triggers strikes and I don't have to be at the helm to do it. Great autopilot.

I also really like the radar. The twin range display is pretty useful with all the fog we have on Lake Michigan especially during a tournament with 30-50 boats all leaving a harbor at once in lowlight or dark. Easy to use, great bright displays.

The chirp sonar works as advertised and the side vision is pretty cool, but I don't feel it has put any extra fish in the boat, but you sure can see what's underneath you. I like it.

All in all, now that all the bugs seem to have been worked out by us early adopters and Garmin's software team, I'm very pleased with all this equipment, it is light years better than my old Raymarine equipment and should last me quite awhile. I'd buy it again.

One gripe I have is with the chartplotter, mainly the charts. The G2 vision card doesn't place the wrecks or depth contours in the right places on the chart. The old Furuno charts I had on another boat with C Map cards was right on the money, Garmins maps suck on Lake Michigan, but there isn't any way to use another companies chart card, Garmin won't allow it. That is a drawback.

To be accurate, mine won't hold on one engine with seas at 4' or above, I'll use two engines then to hold course.

2006 Tiara 3800 Open with Cummins 8.3 QSC's
Like Post Reply

Thanks I fish out of Ludington and have used the 2 bag 2 motor troll many times, I just hate to start the second engine if I can get by with just 1.

(02-24-2017, 10:55 AM)greylion Wrote:
(02-24-2017, 10:02 AM)Silver Rush Wrote: I have the Garmin AP with smart pump on my 96 31 open and it will not hold in 4'+ seas trolling one motor and a sea bag.  I think I need to re run the wizard, while running one motor and a bag when doing the slow learn function and then run both motors a running speed on the fast learn. by chance do you know the numbers in you AP for slow and fast gain and anti-gain? 

(10-03-2015, 01:23 PM)greylion Wrote:
(04-10-2015, 08:35 AM)Fiddlehead Wrote: Looking good!

Interested to hear how you like the Garmins.  Heard lots of good things about them.  Went with Furuno myself, but only because I have a great dealer close by.  Congrats on the new gear!

Now that I have used these new electronics for a full season I have some thoughts. For the first couple of months, Garmin kept issuing new software upgrades that added some new features, but it screwed up other features, like blinking depths and a confused autopilot. It was frustrating, but their last 2 updates in July and September have fixed everything. No issues anymore and the ease of use of this Garmin equipment is awesome.

I installed a Garmin Reactor autopilot with smart pump. My last Raymarine autopilot would not hold a heading with one engine trolling at salmon speeds, approximately 2 mph, but this new autopilot has been fantastic, no problems holding a heading at 2 mph and I really like the zig zag feature when trolling out deep with a straight line troll because turns triggers strikes and I don't have to be at the helm to do it. Great autopilot.

I also really like the radar. The twin range display is pretty useful with all the fog we have on Lake Michigan especially during a tournament with 30-50 boats all leaving a harbor at once in lowlight or dark. Easy to use, great bright displays.

The chirp sonar works as advertised and the side vision is pretty cool, but I don't feel it has put any extra fish in the boat, but you sure can see what's underneath you. I like it.

All in all, now that all the bugs seem to have been worked out by us early adopters and Garmin's software team, I'm very pleased with all this equipment, it is light years better than my old Raymarine equipment and should last me quite awhile. I'd buy it again.

One gripe I have is with the chartplotter, mainly the charts. The G2 vision card doesn't place the wrecks or depth contours in the right places on the chart. The old Furuno charts I had on another boat with C Map cards was right on the money, Garmins maps suck on Lake Michigan, but there isn't any way to use another companies chart card, Garmin won't allow it. That is a drawback.

To be accurate, mine won't hold on one engine with seas at 4' or above, I'll use two engines then to hold course.
Like Post Reply
I have Glendenning electronic trolling valves, so no big deal.

I fish out of NORTHPOINT Marina, Winthrop Harbor IL.

2006 Tiara 3800 Open with Cummins 8.3 QSC's
Like Post Reply
I have the older 96 with the velvet drive transmissions and one counter rotating engine, I don't think I can retrofit trolling valves unless I re-power and that is not on my wish list list
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Tiara Open] Larger and Smart TV for 2006 3600 Open Trainman 0 803 10-20-2023, 05:36 PM
Last Post: Trainman
  New electronics and dashboard boatmanmark 3 950 10-14-2023, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Polesetter
  [Tiara Open] Extend Swim Platform 1988 36 Open tomconroy 1 726 09-19-2023, 01:57 PM
Last Post: Hooper
  [Tiara Open] 3000 Open Randyracer1 0 946 05-31-2022, 02:56 PM
Last Post: Randyracer1
  Nautley Dinghy Davits for our 3500 Open Fiddlehead 8 8,396 04-24-2022, 11:17 AM
Last Post: MC1600