Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Tiara Restoration
Those of you with older models (mine is an '88) know how difficult it is to clean the decks with the aggressive Tiara non-skid. Once the shine is off the gelcoat only a pressure washer will take off the dirt and grime.
I recently decided to Awlgrip my decks, just the non-skid parts, to make cleaning easier.
I purchased one quart of Awlgrip Oyster White, the hardener and the thinner. 2 to 1 paint to hardener and 25% thinner. About $200.
Then without masking I used a 3" roller and 2" brush to roll and tip the entire boats non-skid area, bow to stern.
The results are nothing short of spectacular. Although it is not as slip proof as before, I can clean the decks with just garden hose pressure.
The color match is near perfect and I did it in sections over a weeks time.
Being a rough surface to start with there was no worry about brush marks, laps etc.
I also did the round inspection covers.
Already mixed paint and brushes were stored in the freezer and kept for days.
Clean-up was with lacquer thinner.
I'm ready to start another project.
Capt. George
[-] The following 1 user Likes Uhehner's post:
YOLO (08-01-2015)
Like Post Reply

Pictures please

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Like Post Reply
That is awesome! What a great project! Glad it worked out!

Pictures if and when you can!
Chris Burkard
[Only registered and activated users can see links Click here to register]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chris Burkard's post:
YOLO (09-05-2015)
Like Post Reply
What did you use as a preparation process on this.  I'm getting tempted, our 94 4000 express is in great shape, but the non skid is tough to keep looking the way we like.  This approach is very intriguing to say the least, and I think it is relatively easy owner project.
Like Post Reply
I washed the decks with "Super Clean" and a scrub brush to remove any wax and dirt. Next I looked over the entire surface and removed any stuck on material with a pick. Then a pressure wash with an 1800 PSI electric unit and let it dry for 3 days. The rest was just hands and knees work and it went very smoothly.  It still looks perfect, even close up. Note that I did not paint the smooth sections of the deck, just the non-skid so brush marks and laps were not a problem. Now I'm painting the aluminum window frames with grey Alwgrip but here I'm masking and brushing and tipping with a small flat paint pad for a perfectly smooth finish. Looks like factory new. Give it a try, it's not as difficult as they would leave you to believe.
Capt. George
Like Post Reply
Capt George, That is something I have thought about for a long time but haven't really looked into doing it, great job. When you get a chance I would love to see some photos. Thanks for the information. 
Tom
Like Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Tiara Open] 1991 Tiara 33 San00 0 251 04-03-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: San00
  2005 Tiara 2900 Open Classic shaft size wlizondro 1 508 03-18-2024, 02:45 PM
Last Post: HIGH SPIRTED
  1996 Tiara 3500 Express Batteries JMGCINCY2023 0 240 03-02-2024, 08:34 PM
Last Post: JMGCINCY2023
  Taps and pull out shower for Tiara 2700 stanfarbman 0 213 02-27-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: stanfarbman
  Tiara 32 2005 Headliner Sagging wbmjones@gmail.com 1 266 02-22-2024, 10:33 AM
Last Post: HIGH SPIRTED